Silkies- I Removed my Hen for a day and now the Roosters are flogging her

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1Pammylou, Feb 4, 2014.

1. 1Pammylou

1Pammylou Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2013
    I noticed my oldest and favorite Silkie Hen was looking smaller than normal 2 days ago and so I took her out of the coop and brought her inside in a brooder box to give her some extra special food for a couple of days. When I went to put her back in the coop today with my 3 Roos and 2 other hens, 2 of the Roosters jumped on her and were flogging her. They just kept going after her until I finally got her back out. I did this in the daylight, What should I do? Is this normal? Should I have waited for night and the red light only? I am pretty new at this so I am not sure how to deal with it.

2. 1Pammylou

Sep 8, 2013
    Maybe they are trying to mate? LOL IDK.

3. Crysta

Crysta Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    Florida
    I've read that removing a hen for too long may cause her to lose her position in the pecking order. You probably are going to have to reintroduce her to the flock.

The safest idea would be sectioning off a part of the coop where she is visible to the other chickens but they aren't able to attack her. I'd keep her in the wired off area for 3-4 days, with things to keep her occupied. When you let her out (under your supervision so she isn't hurt) she will be pecked at but won't get too much damage.

Also this way you can still feed her the "extra special food" to help her gain back the weight she lost.[​IMG]

4. 1Pammylou

Sep 8, 2013
    The others have grown to be bigger than her, and they are all 5-6 months old now and she is 2 years old. I will try that.

5. 1Pammylou

Sep 8, 2013
    I also need to introduce 4 other chicks that are 5 months old into the flock. They are being kept in a different coop right now.

6. Crysta

Crysta Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    Florida
    From what I've heard Silkies are usually smaller the other chicken species.

The method i told you is the method I use to introduce my chicks at 6 weeks old. The same method works with the older chickens.

If you can introduce the chicks and the old hen at the same time the older hen won't take all the damage than it would if it is reintroduced alone. The damage will be distributed to all the new chickens as well as the hen. If you have the space to separate the hen with wire then have another section for the younger chicks. Its better to introduce new chickens in groups rather than alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by