silkies in really cold weather?

Terri O

Crowing
10 Years
Jan 2, 2010
WI~chickening for 30 years!
I am thinking about getting some Silkies this spring. Does anyone keep them in the colder climates? I am wondering if they do OK when the temps are like it is here now? (-2F at night and 10F in the day) My coop stays at about 10F at night. Also can they live in a mixed floc or do they do better alone. Is there any recommended reading you can direct me to? Thanks--Terri O in WI

I live in Maine and it gets and stays pretty darn cold. I have mine in an unheated coop and do not have any issues. They can be in a mixed flock, but I would not put them in with breeds that are more on the aggressive side as Silkies tend to be milder and with limited vision (if they have a large crest) and an inability to fly at all, they can't escape being picked on.

Mine live here in MI and do just fine. With their feathery feet and fluffy "caps" they don't have to worry about frostbite. They share their coop with both standard EEers and bantam d/uccles and ameraucanas and everyone is happy:)

I have had my silkies in with a mixed flock for many years. We do not heat our coops and they do very well. If you go in the coop at night, you will generally find two of them tucked in together in one of the nests. We are in northern WI. Our high temp today was 10F and everyone, including the silkies, was outside getting some sun.

Back
Top Bottom