Silkies in the desert...

DelR

Chirping
Nov 17, 2020
Hello! I live in Nevada and have 2 silkie hens. I have done as much as Ican think of to keep my babies cool. We have a cover over their coop and run, 2 waterers, everything is ventilated, we put ice cubes in their water, we give them cold fruit as treats, and today I brought out a kiddie pool to put them in throughout the day to keep them cool. Any more suggestions would be great because it gets up to 100° and Silkies do not do well in heat. I hope I’m being a good chicken mom😭

Well not to be an a$$ here but if I may pose the question why do you have a breed that does not do well in the heat when you live in the desert? It seems like it is causing you way more worries than keeping chickens should be.

That being out of the way, you are doing an awesome job at covering all your bases to keep them cool. What are you doing with the kiddie pool? Never heard of a swimming chicken... hahaha 😆

The only thing i might add is a small fan in the coop to keep the air moving. Other than that, sounds like you're rockin' it!

Well not to be an a$$ here but if I may pose the question why do you have a breed that does not do well in the heat when you live in the desert? It seems like it is causing you way more worries than keeping chickens should be.

That being out of the way, you are doing an awesome job at covering all your bases to keep them cool. What are you doing with the kiddie pool? Never heard of a swimming chicken... hahaha 😆

The only thing i might add is a small fan in the coop to keep the air moving. Other than that, sounds like you're rockin' it!
I agree with your point, I’m doing everything I can to keep them cool. And I’ve read that you fill up a kiddie pool about 2-3 inches deep and put them in. It cools their feet down and they don’t get their feathers wet. It worked for my chickens. I’ve thought about a fan as well, I just feel like it’ll blow hot air

I'm in southwest Idaho - also considered desert - in the 90s this week, 100 tomorrow. It's definitely a challenge! I gave in today and set a sprinkler in part of the run. They didn't go near the sprinkler, but after I turned it off, they were all over the wet grass and foraging in the lemon balm. They're definitely seeking out moist shady areas right now. My biggest challenge is cooling the nest box area. Am trying to divert them to a cooler spot, but they're kind of locked into the familiar one!

I'm in southwest Idaho - also considered desert - in the 90s this week, 100 tomorrow. It's definitely a challenge! I gave in today and set a sprinkler in part of the run. They didn't go near the sprinkler, but after I turned it off, they were all over the wet grass and foraging in the lemon balm. They're definitely seeking out moist shady areas right now. My biggest challenge is cooling the nest box area. Am trying to divert them to a cooler spot, but they're kind of locked into the familiar one!
What about if you just set an ice cube in the nest box? It would melt, but the heat should dry it out again rather fast

Back
Top Bottom