Silkies in the house.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cherndon712, Jan 9, 2008.

1. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I felt bad for my 2 silkies, as they're really the only bantam chickens I have. I have a hen and a roo. They're always last to eat, and a lot of times being chased.
    So, I brought them in the house in a doggie pet porter kennel. Think this is okay? At least this way I know they're getting food and water, and I would like to try for fertile eggs!

2. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    I have a pair of 4 month old Black Frizzles in a welping pin in my basement. They are so tiny I was afraid they would freeze at night. I take them out and let them free range when it's nice and at dark they are by the back door waiting for me to let them in. Pretty much I open the door and they walk over to the pen and wait on me to pick them up and put them in. [​IMG]
    Sylvia

3. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    LOL I just brought mine in yesterday (my 3 year old loves them to death!) I was worried about the cold too, because the other chickens sleep with my ducks/geese most nights so my silkies were always alone (it gets below zero some nights!)
    Mine aren't quite so tame yet, as I've always free ranged them and they only come to food right now. BUT, I think having them inside where we can spend more time with them will help!

4. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    I have added a buff cochin batam with the frizzle pair, she had not been handled, she's been with them for 2 days, and tonight she walked into the basement let me pick her up to put in the pen with the other two. I LOVE IT!!!! [​IMG]
    sylvia

5. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I love it when they change their attitudes!! I have a few that didn't like me touching them, but they LOVE it now!!

6. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    i would say YES it's okay fer sure. just make sure they get lots of time out of their crate to play with you. you know, they do make chicken diapers so you could have "free-range" indoor chickens! how awesome would THAT be?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by