Silkies in the Oregon / Pacific NW Rain

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RainyPeeps, Oct 12, 2012.

1. RainyPeeps

RainyPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    So, it was inevitable here in the Pacific Northwest. We held it off as long as we could. I'm talking about the rain, people. Today it started to rain and will continue to do so for the better part of the next 8 months.

I didn't realize my silkies would just stand in it though! This is the first winter I have had silkies and a polish too. They just look miserable in the rain.

Here's a few pics so you get the idea

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought maybe since it's their first time ever in the rain, they where just trying to figure out what it was. Will they eventually figure it out and next time try not to get sooo wet? Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

I'm asking all you Pacific Northwesterners (and anyone who lives in a very damp area) is there anything special I should know about keeping silkies in the constant rain?

Thanks!

2. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Try asking on the Washington and Oregon threads. There are a number of silkie owners who could help you.

3. DeannaOR

DeannaOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Colton, Oregon
    I've got a couple Silkie eggs in the incubator right now. Yesterday I noticed it was my Spitzhaubens who seemed to like standing in the rain. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since they were the ones who hung out in the mister this summer. I've been worrying about the breeds I have with feathered feet..wonder how much of a mess that will be.

4. RainyPeeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, their feet were getting awfully muddy. We had pretty heavy rain for a few days. Now it's dried out the last two days. I put down a ton of pine needles in the run area. I will see if it makes an impact and keep the mud to a minimum when the rain starts again Friday.

5. bigmommasilkie

bigmommasilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2012
    I to live in the pacific northwest, same issue at our house. My two silkies will stand out in the rain, they have a covered coop but will not go in it...by the time I get home they are soaked to the bone and I have to bring them in and put them under a heat lamp. We are just going to build them a covered run for the fall and winter...They dont have the protection the standard chickens do and I guess it can kill them if it gets to cold. (from what I have read)

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Range shelters are good because they don't want to go to the coop during the day too much.

7. Miz Mary

Miz Mary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Pacific NW
    yup , have had silkies /polish for 5 years now ... they get to looking pretty funny !! Dry, covered areas are good .... not much more you can do ! Pine nedles are good too !

8. DeannaOR

DeannaOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Colton, Oregon
    Today I went out and the chickens in my smaller coop were soaked..I mean all the way soaked. All they had to do was go into or under their coop for cover. I'm afraid they will get sick if that happens over and over. The chickens in the big coop all went in.

9. RainyPeeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Luckily we have had mild temperatures. I don't think you have to worry about them too much as long as the temps stay like this. It's when they turn cold in the dead of winter that I'm worried about. We have a covered run and a fenced area that is about a third covered that I let them out into every morning. They have the option of those two areas and the coop, but yet they still end up pretty soaked. I haven't seem them just standing in the rain again, so that's good. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by