Silkies in with a mixed flock

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mccluckers, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Hi ,

I have a mixed flock which consistes of:

1 light sussex bantam

1 welsummer bantam

1 silver sussex LF

1 leghorn x andulucian LF

1 welsummer x araucana LF

2 columbian blacktail x araucana LF

1 brahma LF

1 salmon faverolle LF

1 araucana roo

Would a silkie be okay with all these chickens?

And I have heard that if silkie get wet they can get hypothermia is this true?

Any other information on silkies would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

2. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    I've had no problem but then, I added my silkies in when all but 4 of my chickens were chicks as well. When they grow up together with the mixed flock, there appears to be less problems than when they are tossed in by themselves later on.

3. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Yes Silkies are more susseptiable to hypothermia and colds compared to 'normal' chickens, their feathers get wet and provide no water proofing and it begins to stick you their bodies ( think human hair). So shelter from the wet and cold is best, also deep mud and water is a bad idea. I agree with the above, its best for them to grow up together with the others than to be added later. If they get picked on to much then you might want to consider making them and or the faverolles a pen as these 2 breeds get on well.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Another potential problem, besides the hypothermia, I see with the Silkie is its small size. It will be a stranger when introduced to your flock, and you have some large birds in your flock. A few of your LFs are breeds that can sometimes have aggressive tendencies, such as your Leghorn X Andalusian, and perhaps your two Columbian Blacktail X Araucana, although the Araucana (which is likely an Easter Egger and not a true Araucana) may moderate their temperament some. My concern is that your Silkie will take a serious beating when introduced to your flock. Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

5. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Thanks guys my araucana is pure bred from a breeder the columbian blacktail x mum was mine and the most non aggresive chicken I have ever met and the 10 week old chicks are very docile as well

I have an 8x6 shed which they live in would that count as shelter?

They seemed to be okay when I added the 2 bantams and just treated them like any other LF chicken

Haven't actually got the faverolle yet will it be okay

Thank you

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Your shed is just larger enough for a coop. The recommended minimum for coop floor space is 4 sq.ft. per bird (more is better), which means you need 40 sq. feet minimum for your 10 birds and you have 48 sq. ft. in your coop, so it will work, but I wouldn't recommend getting any more chickens without expanding your coop. Your Faverolle should work fine as Faverolles are one of the gentlest breeds.

7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    One other thought. Based on your list, you have only 1 rooster. Do not get anymore roosters as the recommended ratio is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. The only really good reason to have a rooster in your flock is if you want fertilized eggs for hatching. Unless you follow the recommended 1 rooster for every 10 hens ratio, the roosters will fight with each other, and will be very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, injuring them with their beaks and spurs, and battering them. I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, injuries, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters (especially too many). I end up responding to members' threads, four or five times a week on average, who are having serious problems because they have too many roosters.

8. Stiggy

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    If you have access to polycarb or clear roofing then some of that like a veranda works well as they can stay under it without getting wet. having their feed/ water under it can also work. If mine have a veranda/ covered area ( all my Silkies have this) then I like to have a low and med perch / dust bath for them to amuse themselves with.

Deciding on having a rooster or not is your call, I always have at least one roo because I breed, and because they work in with the dog to alert on any cats hanging around. When you have lots of birds or grew up with lots ( eg 600+ or over a 1000 in my case) one or 2 extra mouths to feed really is nothing. but it really does depend. As Micheal has said if you have too few hens to roosters then it is problematic and causes injuries, just like to many roosters will fight.

9. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Ok thanks guys will make veranda!!

10. Stiggy

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Good luck with your birds, let us know how it goes or if you have any more questions :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by