SILKIES, just when you think you have them figured out!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by magikchick, Sep 22, 2009.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I have these three sikies all of whom I was sure were roos. Well 2 of them started crowing last week proving me right. What does the third one do? I walk up to it and it squats. I thought that can't be right roos don't squat. The next day it squats again. So I put in the pen with my resident stud muffin and he tells me yep it's a hen. So even when you think you have them all figured out and the signs all point one way, silkies will fool you.[​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    me too me to Just yesterday I caught my 5 month old roo trying to mount my 5 month of buff silkie-I was jumping for joy because I thought for sure it was another boy! yeah for hormones showing us the truth!!!

3. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I have 3 I Think are roos. One is crowing, I'd be happy if I"m wrong and the other two turn out to be girls !!

4. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Just keep watching them and you might get your wish.[​IMG]

5. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] I have been proven wrong before too! I like it when it turns out to be a girl! [​IMG]

Lisa [​IMG]

6. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Isn't mounting just dominance sometimes?

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:bite your tongue and don't burst my bubble of happy clouds I've been on for only a mear few days! [​IMG]

8. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    I always offer mine unsexed unless I have heard a crow or have seen an egg!!! I have been fooled alot of times myself. I started a chart that I use when they are about 8 weeks old. I make a guess and update it every month to see if I am on track or not...right now I am 50/50!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by