1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies: larger chicks, more aggressive chicks-any gender correlation?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iamcuriositycat, Oct 16, 2011.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    The title pretty much says it all. I know it's hard to sex silkies, and I know nothing is 100% until they lay an egg or crow but... anyone noticed any general correlation in young silkies regarding aggression and/or size with gender? Mine are only four weeks, but there is considerable size differentiation and, especially, aggression--some will play-fight frequently and also "attack" my hands when they don't want to be picked up. Others sort of keep to themselves, and just hunker down when they don't want to be handled. Any chance there's a correlation?

2. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one blue silkie 3 weeks old in with 6-7 week old ameraucana and almost 2.5 month old silkies and the little guy jumps and chest bumps everyone...there are 9 'chicks' all living in the same little coop and they all get on amazingly well...they are all piled up on each other right now fast asleep...so I bet he is a boy! just because he acts like one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by