Silkies living with Sebrights??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hennyhandler, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have a Silkie pen with two birds only. I am wondering if I could hatch out some Silkies and a very small bantam like Sebrights and have them live in the same pen. I wonder if the mating part would be a problem. I know most like to keep the breeds seperate but what do ya'll think? Thanks.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

My little d'uccle rooster will mate my silkies (they're bigger than he is by just a little). So as along as you're okay with possible mutt chicks (if you'd hatch any of those), then they should do fine together. [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Silkies and bantams get along fine. Yes they will mate and produce some very interesting offspring if you choose to incubate the eggs. I'm really not sure what your question is. [​IMG]

4. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    Seabrights are high energy birds that like to fly and perch high. As I understand it, Silkies are more low key so a good bantam to share space with a Silkie might be a Belgium D'Uccle bantam because they are very mellow.

5. teach1rusl

I just remembered. When I ordered my silkies, I'd actually ordered a sebright chick too, but they replaced her with one of the substitutes I'd listed. So I had originally planned on a few different bantams to be housed together. As chicken grandma mentioned, you'd def. need different roost levels (in the run too), because sebrights do seem to enjoy being up high, while silkies stay low.

6. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    What I was wondering was though they are both small birds would they get along and do well together. I didn't think about Seabrights being more hyper than the Silkies. Thanks.

7. teach1rusl

If you're worried about aggression problems, no, I don't see that being an issue. My silkies are more aggressive than all but my GLW, and silkies are supposed to be very calm and docile (supposedly). Every bird is different. But sebrights are supposed to be very sweet birds, so I see no reason they could not live harmoniously together, especially if raised together. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by