Silkies look different?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thepouts, Mar 18, 2013.

1. thepouts

thepouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2013
    We have little silkie chicks. They all have the black skin and 5 toes. These babies are Henrietta and Lulu. I was told they are from show quality parents...[​IMG]

These chicks are Tink, Cookie and Hattie who I bought from a breeder. I don't think they're as "pretty" as our other two. Are they definitely silkies?
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yep.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    they are all silkies, you cant judge pretty until fully grown and just because two came off of show stock does not mean that they themselves are show quality, just better chances of it. but I think you got a right cute bunch of babies there, good luck with them [​IMG]

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    hi she is correct in above post.if your looking for a show quality silkie it's best to purchase the show quality at around 6 months of age that way you can judge the charecteristics. i raise silkies too.all mine are from show stock however i can only show one, the one i purchsed at an older age for show. the others as much as i love them , we're purchsed younger and really won't show well as they have grown. so really only way to ensure SQ birds is to buy them as SQ older and go over the standard of perfection for that color then purchase closest to the standard. hope this helps. best wishes

5. thepouts

thepouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2013
    Thanks everyone. I'm not going to show them but I just wanted to check that it's normal for the same breed to look different from one another.

6. budpayne

budpayne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    i got 2 [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]silkies hen one is blue and one is blue with brown same mom and dad the dad to them was black and the mom was white [/FONT]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by