Silkies: love them or hate them?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gunnarwordon, Mar 8, 2012.

1. gunnarwordon

gunnarwordon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    I always wondered if people on BYC think of Silkies as a "beginner" novice bird........ what do you guys think of them?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd say they are easy keepers, though I personally don't like the looks of them and don't own any. They're very docile (mostly-the one at the feed store will peck your face off, LOL)

3. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Haha!! And, Not they won't...

4. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Mine are sooo sweet!!

5. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Silkies are a breed I never saw myself as having. That said, I am about to hatch my third clutch! [​IMG] I don't know if I would recommend them to the first time ever chicken folks, they do need some special care. Because of the poofy crests, some have a hard time seeing, so a time to time trim around the eyes will help. They are not stupid, but are somewhat goofy. Extremely comical, I could wathc mine all day. Silkie feathers do NOT shed water like other chickens, so a roof over their run is helpful, or keep them in the coop when raining or snowing. In warm weather, getting soaked to the skin (literally!), is not a problem. But if they get wet in the cold, it can be deadly. Mine all love jumping around in puddles and standing in the rain, so a roof will help with this. My pullets are all really good layers, and many pullets/hens tend to go broody, although none of mine have yet. Best to read up on the breed and do your homework before jumping in.

6. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Just like with any other breed, there are always the "bad apples". I just got rid of a rather testy Silkie cockerel! Third time he flogged me, he was GONE!

7. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    I think they are really cute and always have a couple on the farm somewhere.

8. Best breed ever! they are sweet and fuzzy! FUZZY!

9. [​IMG]FUZZY

10. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    I just have to have some silkies....Hatching some soon with any luck. I can't wait

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by