1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie's male or female

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by joelharper, Jan 8, 2016.

1. joelharper

joelharper Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2015
    [​IMG]

2. joelharper

Mar 17, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. joelharper

Mar 17, 2015
    [​IMG]

4. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    They are still young, but it appears that the first and second are cockerels. The last looks to be a pullet.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  5. joelharper

Mar 17, 2015
    [​IMG]

6. joelharper

Mar 17, 2015
    I have 4 silkies. These are the first silkies that I have owned. I have no clue how to tell the difference in male or female. They were shipped to me the Tuesday before thanksgiving. So they are prolly 6-7 weeks old. can someone help me out with it. Or are they still to young to tell

7. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    It is extremely hard to sex Silkies. You often have to wait until they crow or lay an egg. Cockerels have larger combs and wattles, slicked back crests, and streamers. It is too early to tell the gender for sure, but you can look at the crests. The second white one looks to be a cockerel so far also.

8. joelharper

Mar 17, 2015
    That is what I had planned on all along. Just waiting for them to either crow or lay an egg. My wife is the one that picked them out and with is living in the city with close neighbors I would only buy hens. But she talked me into these so I guess that I will have to wait. I didn't realize that it would be this hard to tell them apart. Thanks for the help

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    if you want to be positive with silkies either buy point of lay pullets or laying hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by