1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies, male or female?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by can you hear me now?, Oct 29, 2010.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I have three silkies, two black and one white. I know almost nothing about silkies. I raised them from babies so I can hatch eggs. Anyway how do I tell which would be male or female. They are about six months old. None are crowing but I don't know how fast they develop. Is there a way to look at crests? Also my white silkies seems to have more blue type wattles than black. Is this normal? Any replies would be appreciated.

2. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    About to go into work and no answers so I will ask again and hope I see something for break.

3. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Post pictures if you have them. Silkies are very hard to sex but there are a few breeders who can help. Sometimes it is obvious if a male is very developed early on (I have one of those) but other times you just have to wait for an egg or crow. They do take a while to mature, up to 8 months I think.

4. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Got some pictures but not good enough to show and get a guess in. Have a few questions. If their combs show better does that maybe make a difference? One of them I can't see the comb at all and the other two their fluff don't cover it. Their fluff is still somewhat prominent, but the comb is not covered. Could the one I can't see its comb be a roo? I sure hope so I want to extend from the ones I have by breeding and eventually moving up to like a dozen or so hens so they can hatch eggs for me as broodies. I have some BO's as well so no harm there they will go brood but they are getting up there I. Age and aren't meant for me to breed. They were given to me, about 9 of them.

5. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Will upload some of the pics anyway, I really want to know. Will try to take more and add if these don't help.the two black ones are the same bird
    [​IMG]
    This one wouldn't let me get a picture to save my life and the other black one was too well hidden.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Can't say for sure. Take a clearer full body side shot and a close uo face shot.

7. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    wild guess, the blacks are girls and the white is a cock.

8. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Well I sure hope so because it would be nice not to have to wait on a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by