silkies not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jeepseahawk, Nov 4, 2009.

1. jeepseahawk

jeepseahawk Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2009
    san bernardino
    I took some 1 year old silkies in and they are not laying. The previous owner said they were laying and were about 1 year old, what can the problem be? I am new to chicken parenting, starting to wonder if they are roosters, do silkie roosters crow?

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Yes - Silkie Roosters crow.
    If you just got them, they may be adjusting.
    How are they being housed?
    How much light are they getting a day?
    Can you take some pictures and post?

3. jeepseahawk

Sep 30, 2009
    san bernardino
    I can put up photos later. I live in southern california so they get regular daylight. My concern is really not that I need eggs, just was hoping to get some from these girls. I know they are not the best egg laying breed, got them for my daughters as pets mostly. They are with (4) 9 week old americaunas and seem to be doing great health wise. I have a self-made coop at about 4x4 dimensions and a run that is 130 square feet. The coop was originally for 4 birds but will have to make it bigger now.

4. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Sounds like they should be good. They may be just on break. My Silkies do take breaks often. And my blue hen perpetually wants tos et on eggs. She will hope to any egg she can find and try to sit on it.

5. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think maybe the move has affected their laying. My silkies are excellent layers all year long.
    Unless of course they are broody!

6. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Sunlight has decreased quite a bit this time of year and that can affect their egg production. I have a few hens that already stopped laying for winter. Not all chickens will stop completely for winter, but some do.

7. jeepseahawk

Sep 30, 2009
    san bernardino
    Ok, got some photos of my ladies (i hope lady silkies), should they be laying? Lady I got them from said they are 1 year olds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  8. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    There's other hens in tere the pecking order will be out of wack and all of you chickens if you have any that are laying will stop laying for 2 to 4 weeks just make sure they fit in well and do anything you can to make them feel confortible and it will shorten the time to around 2 weeks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by