"Silkies" Obviously not! What are we and possible gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by paceysgl5, Mar 22, 2011.

1. paceysgl5

paceysgl5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    “Silkies” grey ones are 40 days old, the other 4 are 30 days old:
    Bliss (Black) & Splash – were told these are Black & Splash silkies. Def are not. Don’t know what they are and I *hope* at least one is a girl
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sasha – only one that is really looking like a silkie, but think it’s a HE:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sammy – not sure? Maybe a silkie (has fluff more like sasha but not nearly as much):
    [​IMG]
    Ginny (larger of the Grey silkies – I think this is a HE)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gaby (hoping it’s a SHE)
    [​IMG]

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Sasha and Ginny look like silkies. Sasha looks like she has a single comb in the picture. I think ginny is a he and sasha can not tell. Silkies are impossible, I have 3 month olds who have not revealed what they are!
    Next time you go to buy silkies, make sure they have 5 toes, feathered legs, and dark skin. That should increase your chances for them really being silkies.

3. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    I'm not sure about the sexing part but it's obvious which ones are Silkies and which ones aren't! Who told you they were Silkies? My friend had that happen to her last year at a feed store. They showed her a boxful of chicks and tried to say half of them were Silkies. The first obvious clue that they were not was the lack of leg feathering and no fifth toe. Not one of those chicks in the box was a Silkie.
    Sammy looks like a Silkie cross but he is certainly not 100% Silkie.

4. paceysgl5

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    Greys (Ginny & Gaby) were from Ideal and ordered as grey silkies

The other 4 were from a "breeder" in CT. We even saw their silkie pen, in which they had black & white silkies mixed together. He told us all 4 were silkies - that Bliss was Black, Splash was a Splash, and Sasha & Sammy were white. They all have 5 toes and all but Sammy (smaller white) have black skin - sammy has yellow skin but we picked her out anyway because she was very chipper. They also all had the "silkie" head look as babies and all have feathered legs.

We were definitely hoodwinked but just trying to figure out what they could be? Cochins? IDK. Splash has quite the comb coming in...

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

The ones that are obviously not silkies are silkie mixes. The white one, Sammy? if it has yellow skin, is probably some other type of feather leg breed mutt.

I have silkies and a couple random bantam hens mixed with them and I hatched out some mutt chicks from the bunch and they look very similar to your group of 'misfits' [​IMG] The one that is in the third pic - Splash? I bet has d'uccle in it, nice single comb and good foot feathering - identical to my Jack who is a d'uccle X silkie

The others, no idea what they may be mixed with, but i'm sure they are 1/2 silkie. If you breed them to a silkie in the future most of the offspring will have silkie feathering.

6. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    Sammy looks like a Sultan to me

7. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    Your breeder from CT may not have as close of an eye on a stray rooster as they thought. [​IMG]
    And I wouldn't buy from a hatchery if that was my only choice. I have never even heard of a "grey" Silkie. A miscolored black? Yes. A splash Silkie? Yes? Grey? New to me. Not saying I'm an expert though. [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Grey has been a recognised variety for silkies for many years. I agree that they all look to be silkie mixes (except the two with silkie feathers who ARE silkies). Chances are they are mixed with cochin to breed sizzles, althougth that is not a certainty.

Ginny & Gaby are female--you can tell by the feather patterns (there is a chance they are henny feathered males, but that would be quite uncommom). No idea on the whites--TYTT.

9. paceysgl5

Jan 20, 2011
    Taunton,MA
    Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll have to wait a while longer! I wish Splash and Bliss were easier to tell as they both have similar combs.

Sonoran Silkies - I'm surprised you think both my Grey's are girls! That would be wonderful! I haven't heard about feather-pattern-sexing silkies, but I'll trust your judgement!

I'm sure I'll re-post in a couple months to update and see thoughts then...maybe by then we'll know about the 4 baby mutts...LOL. Definitely not buying from them again! Oh well, they are all very sweet nevertheless...

10. elevan

elevan Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by