Silkies?? on color *pics*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by roosty, Aug 26, 2008.

1. roosty

roosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Georgia
    I hatched these from eggs that I purchased. They are soposed to be buff but the one in the first pic. has dark colored feathers coming in on its wings...the one in the second pic is the one I think is a real buff....what color is the first one...is that still considered buff??? or is it something else???
    [​IMG] notice the dark in the wing feathers.
    [​IMG] here is the same chick standing...notice the dark wing feathers again
    [​IMG] here is the real buff...notice NO dark wing feathers
    [​IMG] another pic. of real buff from the side....notice NO dark wing feathers

And yeah they are on my kitchen counter...lol....so what [​IMG]

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I'm not real sure I don't own any buff silkies but My aunt has a buff silkie chick and I believe it has some dark feathers coming in also. Hope somone can help you out a lil more I only have white. grey and black silkies. Oh BTW Your Babies are Adorable!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Can't help you on the color but they are beautiful! I want a silkie so badly [​IMG]

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

That would be black in the wings. Unless you bought buffs from a professional breeder who strives to breed the best buffs, your going to have black in the tails and the wings. Its just a characteristic of buff. And it can vary from a few black specs of color in the wings and tail, to full out SOLID BLACK feathers....

Professionals who breed Buff Silkies strive to produce "clear" buffs with no black in the wings and the tail. Thats one of the goals of a true buff breeder.

Were you under the impression you were going to have a completely buff Silkie?

5. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    My silkie chicks turned color almost daily. I never really know the color until they get their real "hair." Right now, I have a little cockerel (darn it) that looks like a lavender. But, until the real hair comes in, I'm not really sure..

6. Poulets De Cajun

By they way.... the buffs of today carry the black gene, as well as the blue gene and either color can show up in the buff variety.

7. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:Unless it came from lavender parents, you dont have a lavender.... Lavender isn't a naturally occuring color. It was bred into Silkies way back in the 1980's and has only recently become popular.

8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Unless it came from lavender parents, you dont have a lavender.... Lavender isn't a naturally occuring color. It was bred into Silkies way back in the 1980's and has only recently become popular.

What color silkies makes lavender Iv always wondered that?

9. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    As said before, many buff silkies have specks or even whole black feathers. Even in some of the nicest buff strains, the black can still show up. I must say, your first buff has an amazing vaulted skull! [​IMG] Despite the black, I have a feeling it will be a gorgeous bird

10. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:I'll be selling Hatchable silkie eggs around spring April 09. I have White, Black, Grey. Just gotta figure out the shipping thing..LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by