Silkies or polish?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by seminolewind, Oct 23, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    What should I decide in the future? They will be pets.

2. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    I have a polish roo and now/recently purchased 4 silkies. I like the silkies. Silkies are less shy and reported to be very hardy.

3. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    I have both.. My silkies are very calm and pretty quiet. The polish on the other hand are not afraid of much but are much more flighty. I will reach down and pick one up and it sounds like I have a dozen chicks in my hands..lol Mine will all be together this spring. I want to see if I can get some funny crosses. I am putting the silkies, gold laced polish,Naked necks, and frizzles together. I have 5 or more of each kind. I might make a few breeding pens but I am not sure yet. Good luck, Jenn

4. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    Silkies are known to be broody - Polish are listed as a non-broody breed. Polish have limted vision because of their crests so they are harder to handle and frighten easier then silkies - Polish fly better, they go up not just down. polish are known to attrack mites to their crests and needed to be watched especailly during wamrer weather.
    Polish are a non-feather footed breed a huge plus to me.
    Polish are easier to obtain -Not so many genetic messes with the colors.

ok so why do I still like my silkies better ???

5. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    there is a BIG temperment difference between Silkies and Polish. My polish are very flighty, where the silkies are calm. Silkies would definatly make better pets.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    will silkies get along with standards?
    I have not done much thinking about future silkies because of their size, I would think they need more protective measures than big chickens. Do they? Karen

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    My vote definitely goes to Silkies. I haven't had any luck with Polish, though I think they are gorgeous, they are flighty and get picked on.
    I have kept Silkies with standards with out any issues, except for poor Gwen who I believe was was pecked hard enough to give her brain damage, or at least that is the theory. [​IMG]

Silkies are great winter birds and actually lay pretty much through winter without added light...that's if you can keep them from going broody, which is no easy task! Mine are all friendly and sweet and I don't handle them much more then my other breeds I just think they are naturally friendly.

8. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote:If they were raised with the standards, I'd say they'd probably get along ok. I have mine with some oeg bantams and separated from my standards for safety sake as well as it is a better area for broodies.

9. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I agree, being raised together makes a big difference. I have my first silkie. It is only six weeks old, but definitely the sweetest little thing. It doesn't mind be held at all. I have read that they are the lap dog of the poultry world *haha*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by