SILKIES - pullet or cockerel??

Shayna

I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Midwest
Ok some help please! I have 4 paint silkies and one black that carries the paint gene. I know I have 1 hen and 1 rooster. Then there are 3 others about 4 months old that I'm not sure on, but I suspect they are 1 cockerel and 2 pullets. Here are some pictures, please let me know what you think!
#1 pullet??
paintpullet2-1-1.jpg

paintpullet.jpg

pullet.jpg

#2 pullet??
blackpullet3.jpg

blackpullet.jpg

blacksilkie2.jpg

#3 cockerel?? (he's sure got the attitude!)
cockerel.jpg

youngroo.jpg

cockerel2.jpg

I think you are correct very pretty paints . I have had my paints since april the second i just love watching them hatch see what comes out next .

Quote:
Thank you, I cannot wait until I have eggs!!! I'm so excited to find out what colors I'll get. Here are my older hen (background) and roo (front) so I'm hoping I'll have eggs soon!
silkiesandguineas.jpg

Ok well this brings me to another question.... With silkies, how bad of a ratio is 2 roos to 3 hens?
Later I may add 2 or 3 hens, but I really don't want more than about 8 grown chickens at a time. I like the idea of keeping a second rooster- paint roos aren't easy to come by...

You really do need more hens and less roos. I think they usually say a ratio of one roo to 10 hens., OR a a great place for hens to hide and escape them. Maybe you could rotate you roos so only one is with them at a given time.

Quote:
That should be fine.

When I put my breeding pens together i'll set them up in pairs or trios. Never any problems with overmating. I also keep their bums trimmed, otherwise they can get too fluffy and have poor fertility rates 'cause they don't make contact.

I think your right on the sexes. Just from what I have heard....... on the blacks, we can not be certain that the blacks definitely carry the paint gene. Nicely colored hen in the background of that last pic!

Back
Top Bottom