Silkies & Rain?

OkieB

Songster
Dec 9, 2017
I heard conflicting information regarding Silkies and rain/snow.

I've heard some owners never let their Silkies get wet, especially in cold temps. Which does make sense.

Then I've heard that some owners treat them like any other chicken. Simply by letting them roam around in the weather as the others do.

Today it is 70°with a light rain. My Silkies are wandering around foraging out in the elements with the rest of the flock. Am I doing the right thing?

Thanks in advance for any info!

In the summer I let mine out in light rain if it was early in the day and they had time to dry off before night (nights are cool even in the summer here) but not in heavy rains and I don't let them get wet in the winter. The big difference with silkie is their feathers do not repel any amount of water like a regular feather chicken so they get soaked to the skin very easy and take forever to dry.

I heard conflicting information regarding Silkies and rain/snow.

I've heard some owners never let their Silkies get wet, especially in cold temps. Which does make sense.

Then I've heard that some owners treat them like any other chicken. Simply by letting them roam around in the weather as the others do.

Today it is 70°with a light rain. My Silkies are wandering around foraging out in the elements with the rest of the flock. Am I doing the right thing?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Silkies don't seem to have the common sense to get out of the rain. Even if it'd pouring down, wet and cold. My entire silkie pen is covered with a roof after a scare with one of my birds getting wet and cold. If the rain is only light, they should be fine, but keep an eye on them just to be sure.

I live in Florida and we have some pretty impressive and wet weather about half the year. I've always had silkies in my flock and they free range in the yard. If we're getting a major league storm, I always trick everyone into getting into the run and then lock them in since we often end up with standing water if it comes down too fast and too hard. I've seen silkies trudging through what was chest deep water after a surprise heavy rain and they didn't seem to be concerned, but I've always gotten them out of that situation because they never seem very bright and I'm half afraid they could somehow manage to drown? I don't know. But mine all deal with the almost daily rain in the summer here and it never seems to concern them. Yes they stay wet looking longer than the other breeds I have, but we've never had any respiratory problems. I guess it's different here because it's pretty much always warmish, so even if wet, they don't get cold.

I live in the Pacific Northwest... rain is non stop during a certain season... and my Silkie's like foraging the bugs just as much as any other bird.

It's true they aren't the smartest of the breeds I have raised, but they do seem to self regulate. Nobody is usually out during a down poor. But during light rain it's all fair game... they take their chicks out too. By the end of the day they are often soaked to the core. I check them on roost and don't usually notice any shivering or stuff. That would be a definite sign they needed to be dried off or better regulated. But at 70 degrees, I would even blink. Good rain even keeps hawks away!

That being said... I do NOT get snow. I would think if the ice can stick to their feathered legs that would be a recipe for disaster.

This is one of those things... there are many ways, which makes sense for you. ;)

I live in Maui Hawaii last night we had pouring rain coming down in sheets very rare for Kihei where I live.. mai silkie rooster John and two hens were sleeping on tha roof of coop didn't mind the rain at all they looked like drown rats ...i'm guessing they don't have common sense...lol I moved dem into the coop they seem fine half dry today.....:weebut it is Maui .............

I live in Maui Hawaii last night we had pouring rain coming down in sheets very rare for Kihei where I live.. mai silkie rooster John and two hens were sleeping on tha roof of coop didn't mind the rain at all they looked like drown rats ...i'm guessing they don't have common sense...lol I moved dem into the coop they seem fine half dry today.....:weebut it is Maui .............
If the rain came during the night for their first time... they have never experienced it and will have to figure things out. Chickens don't get up and move around in the dark, it isn't natural. The first time of the season here... catches new birds off guard. After a week of downpour ALL have figured out where the dry areas are.

That isn't lacking common sense, it's lacking experience. ;)

If the rain came during the night for their first time... they have never experienced it and will have to figure things out. Chickens don't get up and move around in the dark, it isn't natural. The first time of the season here... catches new birds off guard. After a week of downpour ALL have figured out where the dry areas are.

That isn't lacking common sense, it's lacking experience. ;)

Back
Top Bottom