Silkies Rock!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sheilawagner, Nov 11, 2010.

1. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    Here are some of my 21 Silkies. They are all 3 months old only. They are also the only reason why I spent another $500 building a huge sheltered enclosure for winter. They better lay me some eggs soon! [​IMG]. I haven't learned how to distinguish the males from females, and it won't be clear for another 2 months I think. Some of them have very large distinct combs, so I can guess they are male, but until they start crowing, I won't know for sure.

[​IMG]
    Buff Silkie

[​IMG]
    Partridge Silkie

[​IMG]
    Buff and Partridge. They are extremely cute now, and they're not even full grown yet. I find their top knots very appealing. They look miserable when they are wet..[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bearded Black

None of my silkies have names yet, as they haven't really shown their personalities strongly.

[​IMG]
    Partridge

[​IMG]
    Blue

[​IMG]
    As this picture shows, some of my silkies have better top knots than others.

[​IMG]
    My only Splash silkie. Bearded. So cute, I hope its a female.

I hope all of you Silkie lovers will add some pics of your own little furballs, so we can all ogle together.

2. hchorselover

hchorselover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    [​IMG] I've always wanted silkies [​IMG]

3. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    So darn cute! My fave is the buff silkie towards the end there, on the left. Great hair, er, topknot!
    Our silkies are still in the bator. Just 2 more weeks before the cuteness erupts! [​IMG]
    Since you mention it, I have NO idea how you tell the roos from the hens in silkies. Do they pretty much look the same?

4. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    You have some very nice silkies there!!! [​IMG]

I have only had silkies since July but my hens are smaller than my roos and their combs are larger too but it is very hard to really tell until they start crowing or laying. My boys started to crow at about 4-5 months old. Sometimes you can tell by their topknot. The hens are more of a smoother rounder type and the roos can have a more slicked back type of hairdo going on with streamers.
    Also my hens tail feathers seem softer and the roo's tail feathers are harder.

Here are my first ones when they were about 4 months old.
    [​IMG]

And here they are today. (Sorry, not the greatest pics)

Roo is in front and the hen is behind him.

[​IMG]

Two roos
    [​IMG]

Close up (roo)
    [​IMG]

I hope this helps you guess! [​IMG]
    You will enjoy your silkies. They are such quirky little critters!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by