Silkies/Setting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Teresaann24, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Hi I am a new member, I am the proud owner of 3 silkies one hen and one rooster and one 6 week old silkie chick my hen hatched out 6 weeks ago.

My question is will she set again before winter? I'd like to set her again last time I didnt save any eggs and she only set on one egg and hatched it out.

Also how long can I save her eggs? I have been collecting them and putting them into a box with some hay in my home in the back bedroom away from the airconditing.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  2. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    *Bump?

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

She might go broody again. I had 2 hens that set on call duck eggs, and none hatched. Then about 3 weeks later they started laying, and went broody again.

You can keep her eggs for 7 days. After that the hatchability declines.

4. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Depending on where you live and how soon winter comes where you are, she will probably set again. My silkies start laying and setting about 2-3 months after a hatch, unless mom finds another clutch started by another hen, then she tries to hatch those too, while raising her babies. [​IMG]

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have 4 eggs right now been collecting them for about 4 or 5 days now. Should I wait a few days and collect more then put them all into the nest or should i wait?

6. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    You can collect as many as you want as long as the oldest egg is no more that 7 days old. You may want to start now with putting the eggs in the nest and letting her see them so she will want to sit before the eggs are too old. She may not want to depending on how independant her cheeps are now, if they still need her, she may not sit.

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    The chick is 7 weeks old she still sits in the nest at roosting time instead of getting up on the roosting post but I will go ahead and add the eggs to the nest and see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by