Silkies Sick With Coccidiosis - Need Advice.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkieWiki, Dec 14, 2010.

1. SilkieWiki

SilkieWiki New Egg

Dec 14, 2010
    I have had my pet silkies on Sulpha D - Sulfadimidine (For parrot's but they get 6 drops of the stuff for their body weight.) since i noticed a change in their personality, physical appearance and appetite in the last 2 weeks. Around 2 weeks ago one of my silkies Andrew Ryan, lost a lot of body weight became lethargic and stopped eating all together, pinkish runny poop and sadly passed away. The other silkies were acting fine until about 3 days ago, one of my white silkies Thumbles started coming down with the same symptoms as the previous sick one. I've had the 3 silkie's on Sulpha D for the last 2 days and they seem to be getting better. However yesterday morning when a gave Thumbles her medication she had clear mucus in her mouth. Before i started the medication she was weak on her legs sitting down all day and wouldn't eat anything. However since being on the medication she eats and drinks casually now.

I was just worried about the mucus in her mouth, as i was wondering if she has picked up a secondary infection from the cocci. I've had them locked up in the budgie cage, And they seem to be fine but is it correct to lock them up? or will they get depressed and get even sicker? I hope they all start feeling better soon. But if anyone has any advice for other treatment / preventing the disease I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Did they get a round of Corid? As I understand it, there are different strains of cocci, and some respond to Corid, some to sulfa drugs.

3. SilkieWiki

SilkieWiki New Egg

Dec 14, 2010
    Thanks for that I'll ride down to the produce tomorrow and grab some. Thanks ^^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by