Silkies....singing, peeping? I don't know what to call it...

baltimoreharps

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Cabarrus Co.
It's just absolutely lovely!
love.gif

My girls are a little over 3 months old, and while I've had regular chickens from hatch to now laying,plus the older ones who have hardly made a peep, I have never heard anything like the way that silkies sound when they chirp/peep. They sound almost like songbirds when they make thier happy trill. Will the girls grow out of it, or is that something that will continue? I did a quick search but didn't see anything so I'm probably wierd.
tongue.png

All I know is that my dh who likes the flock, is absolutely entranced with the sounds that the silkies make and wouldn't mind a few more.
wee.gif

We do spoil them a bit more since they're little and don't have a permanent pen yet. They get put out in thier playpen during the day, (Lrg dog kennel, and chicken wire so they can get out and scratch around but be safe right outside of my window) and on rainy days like today, they get the brooder on the front porch so they don't get wet and look like drowned cats.
tongue.png

We just have had so much enjoyment from these little birds....now, if we could only get them to eat treats for a thank you!

We are adopting five Silky young adult hens and pullets on Saturday, three white and two blue. I'm excited, having read so much about them here on BYC. Now that you describe the musical trill of yours, I can hardly wait. I hope our new girls "sing" too. Between now and adoption time, I have to figure how to house these new additions separately from our established flock and eventually how to integrate them all. So much to do... It's strange, we had no intention of increasing our little bunch of hens (15) but all it took was finding out that some Silkies were available nearby to throw caution aside, and here we go...! ~G

Quote:
Exactly what happened to me!
lau.gif
All it took was my birthday, and a close BYC'er who is a super nice seller....there you go, silkie madness is spreading!!
gig.gif
Mine are all black, but they are SO cute! They earned the names, Poppy, Rose and Jasmine. Poppy is a ditz, Rose is fiery and Jasmine likes to pick a fight with whoever she can see at the time, lol!
I love hearing them trillling...I hope that sound is around a lot longer!
love.gif

Good luck with your new flock!
thumbsup.gif

Yes! I have 6 silkies in a mixed flock! 3 black and 3 white! One of the black ones I named Dusty, she has a sing song happy trill too! I just love it! Thank you for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom