silkies staying out at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ripley, Aug 22, 2010.

1. ripley

ripley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2009
    i was wondering if anyone could help me out,in feb i hatched out 3 silkies,when they were 3 months i put them outside in a coop and run next to my main 1,after 6 weeks i opened up the door that joins the 2 together all the girls got on fine,but still my silkies wont enter there coop at night,i end up picking them all up and putting them in,i find them under the big coop,they have a choice of 2 coops but wont use any
    any ideas would help,,thanx

2. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Silkies (like most birds) don't like change....
    How high off the ground is the entrance to their house?
    How are they suppose to get in the house? ramp, steps, just jump in?

My Silkies WON'T just jump into their house, even if its just an inch off the ground. I've had to build carpet covered ramps for every house. Even then, I have a group of 3 month old boys who have just now started going to bed at night on their own. For the past month, every night I would have to pick them up and put them in. I didn't mind though, it gave me a chance to kiss each one goodnight

3. ripley

ripley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2009
    theres ramps leading into both coops,i will try putting carpet on theres,there 6 months old now at least they dont run away from me anymore,lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by