1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkies sure can change in appearance in a few months!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by realsis, Feb 1, 2014.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi all I just wanted to show you a example of how tricky silkies can be to sex. In my first pic I'll show you my baby silkie that I was certain it was a male. You can look at the head and the way the crest is and it looks male. Then I'll show you a pic of the very same bird a few months later. It's now very female and obviously a pullet. These little silkies can be so tricky at a young age to sex. You really can't sex a silkie very accurately until 4 months. Just look how my silkie has changed!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  2. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    She looks like a completely different bird now that she's older .Silkies are so much fun! They sure keep you guessing don't they? [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Adorable! I don't keep silkies, but they sure are cute! [​IMG]

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Now that's some change! I agree, you really can't tell, util they're older.

5. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    She had me worried to pieces that she was a male because I really can't keep a rooster with my neighbors and all.but she bloomed into a beautiful female. Poor little baby was so pitiful looking when she was a baby but she is really a excellent example of the huge changes they can go through! I would have sworn this one was male. But after she bloomed she took on a classic female appearance. Funny thing with this one is she was DNA tested as a female but I was so certain that the test was wrong (as sometimes they can be!) I thought surely the lab mixed this one up or the test was off. That does happen from time to time. But turns out the lab was correct and she's a female.but honestly I was certain she was male and there was some mix up.i worried for months.she went through quite a few changes looking male up to her fourth month.then almost overnight after the fourth month hit she blossomed. Her crest filled in and rounded what had looked like streamers had disappeared and she turned into a classic female silkie. She looks like a completely different bird!! If you would have asked me her sex two months ago I'd of said male.just goes to show you how you can't really sex them until around the fourth month.only real way to know early on is through DNA testing. Even then she was so masculine I thought that the DNA was off somehow. Turns out the DNA was right after all. So I posted this in hopes of helping others who just have silkie babies see that they can drastically change in a matter of months and also to give a example that you really can't accurately sex these little guys until later on about the fourth month. For those who don't want to wait until the forth month their is always dna feather sexing. For about 19 dollars they will give the sex pretty accurately. Otherwise wait until later on and enjoy the changes they go through.thats what's so fun about silkies. They sure will keep you guessing!! I really hope this is helpful to someone else. Silkies are so much fun to watch grow and change.so unless it's crowing your boy just might turn out laying a egg!! These rascals sure are tricky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by