Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 787 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 95 11.6%

• Total voters
I remember that @LynnaePB has some good example pictures of the differences between male and female, and a couple others but I can't remember who at the moment (sorry others! No offense!). I also made an article about this but the pictures aren't working very well and I need to find the time to fix them. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/sexing-silkies.75451/
Wishing you the best of luck!

So I'm going to ask this question here, and hope I'm asking in the right place... (I did try and comb through the 200+ pages for a similar question and answer because I KNOW it's had to have been asked about a 1000 times or more between here and similar posts)

I am diving into the world of silkies! I get to hand pick out of a friends clutch of chicks that I think she got from bunch of eggs from a reputable breeder. They'll be 6 weeks old. I'm in a pullet only position and I don't really want to fall in love with a fluff ball I can't keep in the long run, so I'm looking for those little secrets you experts have that give you that gut feeling over male or female. My friend has a pretty good feeling herself about who's who, but let's be honest, silkies can be a sexing surprise right up until the egg or crow, so I thought I'd toss this old bone back out to be gnawed on a little more! How do I pick? They're all so lovely and well handled that I'm totally jazzed at the opportunity to get one of her babies! Not sure if it matters but they're all black balls of fluff, and for the life of me I can't remember if any had straight combs or not. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures to make this any easier, but any insight would be a blessing!

Thank you! :love

6 weeks is a tricky age for me to try sexing but if I was hoping for pullets I'd make sure to #1 look at combs and only pick out the chicks with the smallest/flattest combs (if they are single combed they won't be flat but picking out the smallest combed ones still applies). #2 I would look at overall size (a lot of my little pullets are slightly smaller than my cockerels though this certainly doesn't always hold true). 6 weeks may be a little early to pay much attention to crest size/shape (something that can give better insight with chicks that are a little older) but sometimes they do develop early and the ones with fuller/rounder crests rather than swept back crests may be slightly more likely to be females. Behavior may also give you some insight. A lot of my little pullets are more likely to stand back and be a little more timid and the little cockerels are more likely to be bold/outgoing. Again this definitely doesn't always hold true.

Good luck!

Hey guys! I'm pretty new to the silkie world but recently I got 3 half-silkie chicks, who are pullet now but let me just say - I LOVE SILKIES!!! They're so much sweeter then my standard-feathered breeds were ever as chicks. They love to snuggle and are overall super clean. Yes, i know that they aren't full silkie, but their dad is, and he's absolutely gorgeous!! They all have different mommas and have super unique personalities. They are my absolute favorite chickens. I'm so glad that I took the risk and decided to get my cuties Amelia, Rosie (or Rosco?!) and Poppy.

Hey guys! I'm pretty new to the silkie world but recently I got 3 half-silkie chicks, who are pullet now but let me just say - I LOVE SILKIES!!! They're so much sweeter then my standard-feathered breeds were ever as chicks. They love to snuggle and are overall super clean. Yes, i know that they aren't full silkie, but their dad is, and he's absolutely gorgeous!! They all have different mommas and have super unique personalities. They are my absolute favorite chickens. I'm so glad that I took the risk and decided to get my cuties Amelia, Rosie (or Rosco?!) and Poppy.
Rosie is my profile picture!! She has a little itty-bitty head crest now though:celebrate

6 weeks is a tricky age for me to try sexing but if I was hoping for pullets I'd make sure to #1 look at combs and only pick out the chicks with the smallest/flattest combs (if they are single combed they won't be flat but picking out the smallest combed ones still applies). #2 I would look at overall size (a lot of my little pullets are slightly smaller than my cockerels though this certainly doesn't always hold true). 6 weeks may be a little early to pay much attention to crest size/shape (something that can give better insight with chicks that are a little older) but sometimes they do develop early and the ones with fuller/rounder crests rather than swept back crests may be slightly more likely to be females. Behavior may also give you some insight. A lot of my little pullets are more likely to stand back and be a little more timid and the little cockerels are more likely to be bold/outgoing. Again this definitely doesn't always hold true.

Good luck!
I remember that @LynnaePB has some good example pictures of the differences between male and female, and a couple others but I can't remember who at the moment (sorry others! No offense!). I also made an article about this but the pictures aren't working very well and I need to find the time to fix them. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/sexing-silkies.75451/
Wishing you the best of luck!

Thank you both, so much!

You've both given me a great list to focus on, I appreciate it! I'll have to do my darndest to avoid the one that always hops up first to give the jaunty chest thrust and speculative stare! My gut always screams male, but that's always the most friendly and curious one so I give in and argue backwards logic with myself until I pick that one first! 😅 There's always exceptions, I have gotten a manly hen or two and given away a few ot them prematurely, but the odds are stacked against the bold ones! Hopefully I'll be able to put enough hints together to get the most likely pullets from this fantastic flock! Now I'm going to spend every moment I can looking at as many pics of 6week old silkies I can find!,

Welcome Elie! Rosie is adorable!

This is my 3.5 month old cockerel; he doesn’t have a name yet, but we’re working on it. He’s SUCH a sweetheart. I don’t know how I ever went without having Silkies before ❤

2D4F4E44-3D0C-47C5-ABD7-AFCCF1A0058B.jpeg

2DBFA0EB-590C-4727-96D1-87B0D8D2DE7E.jpeg

Unfortunately I hatched 80% roos this year, so amid the pandemic I have to find someone who still has hatching eggs available, to try and get this guy some lady friends before the snow flies. Hopefully I’ll be able to 🤞🤞 I’m really looking forward to seeing how he fills out, and seeing his babies next spring!

Last edited:
This is my 2.5 month old cockerel; he doesn’t have a name yet, but we’re working on it. He’s SUCH a sweetheart. I don’t know how I ever went without having Silkies before ❤

View attachment 2190127
View attachment 2190128

Unfortunately I hatched 80% roos this year, so amid the pandemic I have to find someone who still has hatching eggs available, to try and get this guy some lady friends before the snow flies. Hopefully I’ll be able to 🤞🤞 I’m really looking forward to seeing how he fills out, and seeing his babies next spring!
He's so handsome! :love Welcome to the silkie thread!

Ah, that is a bad hatch. Wishing you better luck next time!

This is my 3.5 month old cockerel; he doesn’t have a name yet, but we’re working on it. He’s SUCH a sweetheart. I don’t know how I ever went without having Silkies before ❤

View attachment 2190127
View attachment 2190128

He's beautiful, looking like he has a lot of potential! Good luck finding some girls for him, I hope the next hatch you have better odds and hatch out more pullets. :)

Back
Top Bottom