silkies- they always keep you guessing...pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by melloladies, Sep 7, 2011.

1. melloladies

melloladies Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    This is Pickle [​IMG]
    Hatched 4/30 so 4.5 months old +
    I've been thinking pullet (breeder has also given me her opinion, but not recently) but I'm just a nervous chicken momma. I've only raised two chicky babies from eggs, and this sweet little one is one of them- so even if "she" is a he... I'll most likely be trying my darndest to keep him- provided he behaves himself. But I'm REALLY hoping little pickle puffle pants is a girl [​IMG]
    front view
    [​IMG]
    side view
    [​IMG]
    with buddy, Claire bear
    [​IMG]
    Pickle is so much more "shapey" than Claire- she just looks like a little round puff- so the differences in body shape/crest size have me wondering. It could just be age though.... Claire is over a year old- and she still had a crest full of pin feathers [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance for your opinions!!!

2. Pullet. I don't see any streamers.

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Crowing

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Looks like a pretty girl powder puff to me.

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    pullet

5. melloladies

melloladies Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    such quick replies!! And from such great people!! Thank you very much [​IMG]
    I'm glad to see everyone agrees so far. Tiny comb- about the size of my pinky finger pad- no color to it. I wasn't sure when those pesky streamers would show up, if they were going to.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  6. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I guess pullet as well [​IMG]

7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:I don't think you'll have to worry about any pesky little steamers on this one [​IMG] I love my silkies, but the wait of sexing drives me insane!

8. melloladies

melloladies Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Quote:I don't think you'll have to worry about any pesky little steamers on this one [​IMG] I love my silkies, but the wait of sexing drives me insane!

I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to be a silkie breeder!! Waiting and waiting ALL THE TIME!!! It was hard enough with my two! Pickle was my only hatch out of a dozen eggs, so I feel VERY lucky that she's lookin' like a she [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: