silkies- they always keep you guessing...pullet or cockerel?

melloladies

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Merritt Island
This is Pickle

Hatched 4/30 so 4.5 months old +
I've been thinking pullet (breeder has also given me her opinion, but not recently) but I'm just a nervous chicken momma. I've only raised two chicky babies from eggs, and this sweet little one is one of them- so even if "she" is a he... I'll most likely be trying my darndest to keep him- provided he behaves himself. But I'm REALLY hoping little pickle puffle pants is a girl

front view

side view

with buddy, Claire bear

Pickle is so much more "shapey" than Claire- she just looks like a little round puff- so the differences in body shape/crest size have me wondering. It could just be age though.... Claire is over a year old- and she still had a crest full of pin feathers

Thanks in advance for your opinions!!!

melloladies

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Merritt Island
such quick replies!! And from such great people!! Thank you very much

I'm glad to see everyone agrees so far. Tiny comb- about the size of my pinky finger pad- no color to it. I wasn't sure when those pesky streamers would show up, if they were going to.

Last edited:

Elite Silkies

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Oklahoma
My Coop
Quote:I don't think you'll have to worry about any pesky little steamers on this one
I love my silkies, but the wait of sexing drives me insane!

melloladies

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Merritt Island
Quote:I don't think you'll have to worry about any pesky little steamers on this one
I love my silkies, but the wait of sexing drives me insane!

I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to be a silkie breeder!! Waiting and waiting ALL THE TIME!!! It was hard enough with my two! Pickle was my only hatch out of a dozen eggs, so I feel VERY lucky that she's lookin' like a she

Top Bottom