Silkies!!!! They Are Growing So What Are They?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Monkie_777, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Monkie_777

Monkie_777 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Hello there these are supposedly about 18 weeks old...However I am wondering because they are no where near the size of my black sex link hen who is the same age....I am new to this whole chicken thing as of this spring...but are there two different sizes in the silkie world? or Could it be since I go these guys at 2 weeks that they are a little younger? My mane concern is what I have for sexes...I am thinking my white one the most pics of, is a roo as he runs away like a race car and the other two don't really fight you when you go to pic them up. Also his or her head dress is different. So wonder if you guys can help me out? Thank you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

p://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/58409_dscn9668.jpg[/img]

2. Monkie_777

May 23, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    From the pics you've provided, they all look like pullets.

The best pics for sex determination are : straight on pic of the comb; side shot of the head (including neck)

4. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Opps~~forgot to add that Silkies are bantams.....they're going to be smaller than your other birds

5. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    The bird in the first pic doesn't look full breed Silkie, it has no leg feathering, or am I nuts and need my glasses? [​IMG]

6. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I see that too..oops that one needs some leg warmers [​IMG] Sex links tend to be rather big ladies and Silkies although many are larger than several of the bantam breeds they are still bantam so they will be smaller.

7. Monkie_777

May 23, 2010
    The women we got our silkies from had nothing but silkies..so there is virtually no way that it could be anything but silkie...However this one has me puzzled as it tends to act a bit rooish in it's behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by