SILKIES - To Trim/Pluck Or Not?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by YborChix, Jan 25, 2015.

1. YborChix

YborChix Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    Very new to Silkies but I'm not one of those who doesn't know how to use Google first.

I am finding very conflicting information on what is correct for the standard. I'm taking my two to the fair just for the experience of showing and hoping to learn from people that really know the breed. On one hand I read that an un-groomed bird will be DQ'd and that eyes should be unobstructed. Then I see show birds should be plucked not trimmed and then I see a post from a guy that says either one is cheating.

I don't expect any ribbons but I'd sure prefer not to expose my Foxy and Phoebe to ridicule by the other mean girls!

Who has the final say in the standard and is "Grooming" limited to nails and beak?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Faking is one of the three general disqualification's it's where you try to hide a major fault or defect. In breeding you normally trim the vent feathers to make chances of fertility larger in some breeds. I have never seen or heard a judge disqualify someone for a little plucking (have you?) If you are worried about the eyes just take a few feathers that obstruct the line of vision nothing more. Grooming does not stop at just the beak and nails. I gave my silkies a bath in downy to enhance the fluffiness in their feathers.

3. YborChix

YborChix Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    Great Tip! Do you have specific types of picks or combs for fluffing different areas?

4. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I use a hairdryer on my silkies after I give them a bath in downy it makes it soft and fluffier. I use a cat brush to do the brushing and a flea comb to get rid of new feather shafts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by