1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies - Too cold during the winter in PA?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KellyGwen, May 6, 2008.

1. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Hi Everyone!

I am planning on getting some Silkie babies from a local breeder in the next week or so... But I've heard a lot of talk on the board about them dying from the cold??? Is it too cold for them here in Western PA during the winter? Would they need special care? I just want them to live in the coop with my other chickens, and there is no power out there. On very cold nights during the winter I was planning on having a heat lamp out there, but I don't want to have the Silkies if they are going to suffer... I am planning on getting 5 or 6 of them... would they snuggle for warmth?

Thanks!!!
    Kelly

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  2. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    They don't have a problem with the cold that I have noticed. Just being wet or damp

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Our silkies do just fine over winter. We do not offer any heat sources either. They are kept inside their coops during snow/ice storms or when snow is on the ground, but otherwise no special treatment. I have never lost a silkie to PA winters yet.

Jody

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  4. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    I am in zone 5 (-20 lowest winter temp) and my silkies do just fine. They seem to be a lot more sensitive to heat than cold. When I bathe them I have to be careful blow-drying them. They overheat quickly and take a while to cool down. As long as they are dry they will be fine.

Richard

5. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Coldest we got last winter was -35f and our gal Elvis did just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by