Silkies - treated for lice, how do I remove nits?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 4Hchickymomma, Feb 7, 2017.

1. 4Hchickymomma

4Hchickymomma Just Hatched

Oct 11, 2016
    We have two silkies that we bought for 4-H. When we got them home, they had lice. We treated the lice with permethrin on day one, and again on day 10, and have never found any more lice, but how do we get rid of the nits from them? If they have even one nit, they will be disqualified. The fair is in 2 months. The Silkies are between 4-5 months old. Will they molt between now and then or should I do something to get rid of them? They are mostly up around their neck, and there are a lot of them. I have been reading, and read to use coconut oil, skin so soft, bathing, and all sorts of ideas, but I am not sure what is best, and what would ruin their feathers.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The lice eggs will hatch every 10 days, so treating them every 7-10 days may kill new ones to end the cycle. If you are not seeing evidence then, I would treat once more. Permethrin 5% spray would be good to use, since it will still be active on the skin for a bit. I have also read about coconut oil being used to remove nits, but it may be greasy. Be sure and empty out your coop bedding, and spray the walls, floor, nests, and roosts.

3. 4Hchickymomma

Oct 11, 2016
    Thankfully they are in a brooder, by themselves, and I never introduced them to my flock yet! How often should I be changing their bedding though? They are inside, and I sprayed their bedding when I treated them, but I am wondering if I should be changing the bedding more often.

There are only two of them thankfully.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Where are the nits?

5. 4Hchickymomma

Oct 11, 2016
    Mostly on the back of their neck.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Interesting spot... Are you going to show these birds? If so, and you can't find a way to remove the nits, research plucking the feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by