SILKIES ~ Updated pics on page17

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by m2wandc, May 15, 2009.

1. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Sooo some of you might know and others don't...but I adopted two silkies (that are pretty cute, see pic) and sooo far the attraction hasn't hit...I'm somewhere between regretting my choice and falling in love with the cute little buggars. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do I try to rehome them with a silkie lover or do I accept them as the weird little creatures they are and love them up?

Soooo here is what I'd love from all of you silkie lovers:

Please tell me what makes this breed a special breed for you personally. Your Pros & Cons...etc...

and

If you have pictures to share, I'd love to see a lovely collection of silkie photos! (these are mainly to share with the hubby who is wondering what they can and do look like as adults...notshow quality, just family pet, run of the mill looking silkies)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  2. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    Here is my adult Silkie being a surrogate mamma to some Delaware Blue Hens she hatched

[​IMG]

I have only 3 her and just bought 2 babies I think they just are different and soft but I love all my chickens I don't consider myself a Silkie lover but they are cute

3. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I personally like silkies because they are small and docile. They dont fly or even roost very high. They can be kept in a fairly small space with very little care needed. Just fresh food and water each day and I keep mine on pine shaveings that I clean out when the look dirty. There so funny and fun to watch, but I guess you could say that part about all chickens. I just think they are so pretty with all there fluff and fuzz. There excellent brooder birds as well as good moms too. Also another big plus is that the roosters are not quite as loud as my standards and way less aggressive. But mostly there just cute! [​IMG] JEN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Do yourself a favor-stop even attempting not to love them. It is physically impossible.[​IMG]

Here are my two girls at about a month (a porcelain and a blue).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    I have only one and I love all the fluff! Granted, my silkie may not love me as much as I love her![​IMG] I like all my chickens and think of them as my pets. They all have different personalities too. Give your silkies a chance. They are just balls of fluff and great brooders and moms! From what I have heard, you will not need an incubator if you have a silkie hen![​IMG]

(All that from someone who has her first silkie and it is close in age to yours![​IMG] So, I don't have any pics of my silkie as an adult![​IMG] )

[​IMG]

6. Ivy

Ivy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2009
    I love my silkies, they are clever, cute and small. The mommas are wonderful with their chicks, and even some roosters are caring of the small ones. I am finding new homes for mine- we have a no chicken policy in the city limits, and there has been a complaint about a neighbor with chickens (there are/were three chicken keepers on our street) I will miss my babies, but we are working on changing the city codes, so maybe there is hope for me in the future!!

Ivy

7. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Silkies are the cutest fluffballs!!
    [​IMG]

They are gorgeous as adults too!!
    [​IMG]

They are very sweet and tiny. Excellent incubators and mothers!!
    So what are you going to name them?? [​IMG]

8. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    is there a way to tell from the baby chick stage if they will have a big lumpy poof on the top of their heads vs not much of one? I'm hoping for less of one then more of one...because I really like being able to see their eyes and the darling expressions in their eyes...but with that big poof you can't see their eyes and I'm not sure they can see either???

They are cute, I need to get them out and hold them more...do they lay eggs, I originally wanted chickens for pets and eggs...but I am thinking they don't lay well???

One of them had a clump of poop stuck on it's bootay, and I gently pulled on it and the whole dried clump came off with baby chickie fuzz...then it balled up again...sooo I tried to pull and it wouldn't come easily...so I ran it's bootie under warm water and sort of pinched it off bit by bit and noticed that it's bare black skin was showing from my previous pluck and I felt TERRIBLE! [​IMG]

it's not really pasty butt issue, because it was BELOW it's bootie hole...the hole it's self was clear...so does that mean I'll have to clean it's bum all the time??? ugh [​IMG]

they are really cute and I do like them, just sooo worried they won't intergrate well with the others because they are soo much smaller, they might be in a brooder for years to come! ???

They are the same age as the chicks at the feed store (contemplated getting another 'farm like' chicken today) but the chicks at the feed store are way bigger, but same age as my silkies...how big do these silkies get when full grown? I was reading 2 to 3 pounds??? is that about right? Where the other chickens I have are in the 8 pound range at full growth.

Oh I'm sure I'm worrying for nothing...I just fell head over heels sooo quickly for my buff orpington, I'm worried I won't love them as much as they should be loved and adored and with all the silkie lovers out there, I'm wondering what link I'm missing here...LOL

9. m2wandc

Apr 19, 2009
    what age is this silkie? And are those adult feathers or baby chickie fluff?

[​IMG]

10. Etakeh

Etakeh Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by