Silkies: Vaulted Skull vs Not

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silkiechick05, Oct 28, 2009.

1. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    What is preferred?

What is the difference (other than their head being taller)?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I dont breed silkies but I'm pretty sure vaulted is the preferred of the two. Its all about looks.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Personally, I prefer the vaulted silkies. Here is an article on vaults. http://www.hattricksilkies.net/articles_vaulted_skull.html Apparently, the vault makes for a larger crest, though I have non-vaulted silkies with just as big of a crest as a vaulted bird. It also does make them more susceptible to brain damage if they get hit in the head.

4. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Thank you very much!

I think all of my little guys have vaulted skulls...

and every time they jump or do something stupid i am so worried about their little heads!

5. SundownWaterfowl

During the spring, I had a hatchery silkie that I was trying to catch. She had a very large vault, but no crest. She ran and whamed her head right into the coop door. I mean whamed her head. I was suprised the didnt just drop dead, but she was fine. [​IMG]

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I have both vaulted and non-vaulted. I am watching my babies as they grow up to see if the vaults makes a large difference in the crest size. Some say it does and some say it does not. I worry about the vaulted skull babies more. I think the babies with the vaulted skulls are cuter when they are born.

My mom always picks the babies with the vaulted skulls, she says they are so cute with those little top knots.

We would love to see pics of your babies!!!!!!!!

7. Willjg

Willjg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Tuckerton
    Hey there,

I actually prefer the vaults in silkies. And from what I've seen in mine, they always are the ones with the larger crests. (And I think they look more fun to see in the brooder too) ;-)

I've heard a lot of debate about the vaults vs not with people tho....Some say the vaulted ones are more delicate, or dumber....I think its just a matter of personal preference. Polish chickens have vaults and they do just fine.

I've had non-vaulted silkies that were as fragile as anything, so I don't think it affects their hardiness one bit.

Take Care,
    Bill.

8. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Here they are!
    These pictures are a little old...
    They've grown so much!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. SundownWaterfowl

Adorable. All 3 do look vaulted.

10. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm raising a batch of hattrick silkies/showgirls, and the vaults sure do give them character as chicks. I doubt it makes a lot of difference in hardiness. I have two (out of seven) without vaults, and the runt (currently in the bathtub, mentioned in another post as showing "failure to thrive"), is one of the non-vaulted ones, so there you go. The silkies look kind of beetle-browed, with brownish highlights, at this point, and sure are cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by