1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies - what are the mixed kinds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickens 4 2, Apr 10, 2009.

1. chickens 4 2

chickens 4 2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Gore, OK
    I have some black silkies and some white. They are now separated but when they were together I got some mixed ones. I am wondering if they are called something other than "mixed". I've heard of "splash" but don't know what that is and something else I can't think of. I guess what they turn out to be depends on if it is a white hen/black roo or a black hen/white roo? I've seen some that are a darkish gray and some that are kind of a golden brown. [​IMG]

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    White x Black or vice versa does not produce Grey, Splash, Buff, Partridge, etc. All of those colors are varieties, not mixes of any sort.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    When you mix two different coloured/patterned chickens, it's kind of like every copy of every gene contributed by each parent is a dice. Toss them into the cup and shake, shake, shake and see what turns up.

4. chickens 4 2

chickens 4 2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Gore, OK
    Thanks Sonoran.

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have a chick from a black and white mixing...The chick hatched white and is feathering in white. Hen was white rooster was black.

I hatched a chick from a black and partidge mixing..The chick hatched partidge and is feathering in partidge. Hen was Black roo was Partidge.

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    breed anything to white then you might end up with anything... depends what's hidden under the white.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Teresaann24, you now know that the black roo carries a hidden copy of recessive white. If bred to a white about half their offspring should be white.

To see different colours of silkies, check out feathersite or http://www.geocities.com/iladd29/webdoc3.html

8. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Thats neat. I hatched some eggs when my silkies were all mixed together. My aunt hatched some of my eggs and one was from a gray roo and black hen and the chicks are feathering in as white and gray I thought that to be odd. I love the mixed color silkies but have colored matched my breeding pens now.

9. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I have a blue SG Roo bowtied, White SG roo bowtied, White SG roo NN with 2 black Silkies, my babies this month were:

3 blue showgirl chicks
    2 black/blue Silkies Look really black but have whiteish grey markings
    1 partridge showgirl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by