SILKIES will I be able to hear the roosters crowing in my house???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by comedianchick, Dec 16, 2009.

1. comedianchick

comedianchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    maryland
    basically I have 10 chicks will I be able to hear the roosters of the group crowing from the house ??I will post pis a little later to determine gender because they are only 5 weeks now and some 6 weeks???

Thankyou

2. luvmychickas

luvmychickas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have 3 silkie roos and the only one I can't hear in my house is the one who just started and his crow is very quiet. The other 2 are just as loud as my EE roo [​IMG]

3. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    It depends on how far from your house they will be. I can't hear any of my roosters crow while I'm in the house right now.
    My coop is 350 feet from the house. In the summer, I can hear them crowing... I can also hear the ladies ba'gawk-ing over the best laying boxes.
    So, therefore, my answer remains...
    It depends on how far your house is from the coop, how well your house is insulated, whether your windows are open, and how loud your roosters are. My standard roosters have crowing "battles" to see who's loudest. My 2 partridge silkie roos take part in this ritual - it can get pretty loud. (I have 6 silkie roosters, but only 4 of them crow. Of the 4 crowers, only 2 crow loud & often.)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  4. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    My silkie is just as loud as the BO's. They crow back and forth all day. The coops are about 150 yds. in back of the house and I can hear them all when the windows are open in summer or when I let the dogs out, but with the house closed up now I don't hear them. Blarney (silkie) sounds like he's trying to sing Beethoven when he crows....da da da DAAAAAAAAAAH. The last note is always off key. [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by