Silkies with my Big Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheeps, Jan 8, 2009.

1. cheeps

cheeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    So I have 4 RIRs and now I have 2 EE hens as well. I just introduced the EE's on Tuesday, and after a few hours of battle I think they're settling in OK (my RIR's still peck them occasionally). We are looking at two silkies, a roo and a pullet, that are about 6 months old, same age as my others. I would really like to get this pair, they are so cute and sweet.

Does anyone house silkies with heavy breeds? Do ya'll think this will work or should we pass on these cuties? I don't want them to end up hurt. My RIR's are pretty laid back, but they did put a whoopin on the EE's when they first arrived. I don't think I realized how big they were until I put in the EE hens with them!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    I keep my silkies w/ the rest of my gals. 3 brahmas 4 sex links 1 rir and a duck. the silkies, since i got them together, just stick w/ eachother, but are housed w/ the rest of the flock. no real problems. i think my white silkie gets picked on once in a while by my sex links but nothing serious.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i have standard hens (EE, BO and Red Stars) and bantam chickens, mostly silkies. i would never put them in a pen together. One peck on the head from a big bird could easily kill a Silkie. i have heard it said that their skulls are not fully formed on top, which makes them especially vulnerable to a head peck.

i have had RIRs in the past, and although they can be friendly birds, they can also act like a pack of wolves when you try to introduce new chickens. From what you describe with the introduction of the EEs, i strongly suspect they would battle the Silkies - and that is a fight the Silkies can not win.

Now, there are folk here that house them together. But i think most of them were raised together. Generally if chickens grow up together there isn't much fighting as they have already established the pecking order as chicks.

If you would really like to get the Silkies, can you construct a coop and pen just for them? i guarantee that once you get a couple, you will definitely want more!

4. cheeps

cheeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    I've heard they're addicting!!! They are so adorable. I don't know about building a new coop, I just got DF to build the one I have! I can always beg!![​IMG]

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    My poor husband used to complain about me adding more pens and coops. Now he's given up and just says "Go for it!". i look for rabbit hutches, kennels, playhouses, and old sheds on craigslist. Then i repurpose them into chicken homes. i'm just finishing up on a new one now for my Showgirls. Also waiting for a call back on a used chicken coop i just found on craigslist. Oh, just got the call and heading out now to look at it and hopefully buy it. [​IMG]

Good luck with your Silkie acquisition. Some folks here say they steal you soul, but all of mine have stolen my heart. [​IMG]

6. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    DD & I created a pen within our coop that allows the Silkies a place to escape the bigger girls. I is a pallet-type crate (4x4x5), from Home Depot, wrapped in chicken wire. It has a little door that my Australorps, Wyandottes & Cochins cannot enter. The Silkies can have free run of the coop - if they want. They mostly don't want to hang out with the bigguns.
    I do have one Silkie rooster that has been with the big girls from day 1. He mates 'em and bunks with them at night. Otherwise, I have nine Silkies & Showgirls that enjoy eachothers' company.

7. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    My 4 silkies3 hens 1 and my only Roo are in with black giants RIR, Doms,Orp,EE's, Astrop, who by the why are my meanies,comets and red sex links. Thay are all fine my silkies take care of them selfs they roost on the top roost

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by