silkies with my other hens

Silkie2

Songster
Mar 1, 2016
Southern NH
OK so I am getting day old silkies, (my first!! Super excited)anyways, I wanted to know if my silkies would be OK with my other hens? My chickens live in a fairly large area (they are not free ranged they are just fenced in) there is a spot that has a fence for when we get turkeys but it is opened to the hens when we don't have turkeys yet. I figured I would put them in when then are big enough, so the other chickens could see em' then after that I would place them out with the bigger chicxkens , so like I said will they be OK? (Sorry, tried to explain the situation as best I could) BTW I am getting TWO silkies on the 16th of march

Silkies will often get picked on especially the crests I wouldn't keep them with large fowl, and turkeys can kill chickens, so I don't keep them with chickens either.

OK first the turkeys are only staying a little bit each year second, the turkeys have there own pen where no chicken get in and no turkey can get out, sorry if I did not word it properly. I was gonna keep the silkies in there ONLY when the turkeys were NOT there. Right now we do not have the turkeys

Sorry I didn't mean to sound mean. I didn't think you were putting them together, I just had a bad experience and like to warn others about the shenanigans of turkeys. I don't currently have silkies, mainly because others like to peck them. It can work but I personally have repeatedly had troubles in a mixed flock with my silkies being a target.

Ohhh OK
1f62e.png

Back
Top Bottom