1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkies with my other hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Silkie2, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Silkie2

Silkie2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    OK so I am getting day old silkies, (my first!! Super excited)anyways, I wanted to know if my silkies would be OK with my other hens? My chickens live in a fairly large area (they are not free ranged they are just fenced in) there is a spot that has a fence for when we get turkeys but it is opened to the hens when we don't have turkeys yet. I figured I would put them in when then are big enough, so the other chickens could see em' then after that I would place them out with the bigger chicxkens , so like I said will they be OK? (Sorry, tried to explain the situation as best I could) BTW I am getting TWO silkies on the 16th of march

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Silkies will often get picked on especially the crests I wouldn't keep them with large fowl, and turkeys can kill chickens, so I don't keep them with chickens either.

3. Silkie2

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    OK first the turkeys are only staying a little bit each year second, the turkeys have there own pen where no chicken get in and no turkey can get out, sorry if I did not word it properly. I was gonna keep the silkies in there ONLY when the turkeys were NOT there. Right now we do not have the turkeys

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sorry I didn't mean to sound mean. I didn't think you were putting them together, I just had a bad experience and like to warn others about the shenanigans of turkeys. I don't currently have silkies, mainly because others like to peck them. It can work but I personally have repeatedly had troubles in a mixed flock with my silkies being a target.

5. Silkie2

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    Ohhh OK [​IMG]

6. Silkie2

Mar 1, 2016
    New England
    @ anybody who has silkies
    How do you not have your silkies get picked on

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by