Silkies with no top knots!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by yomama, Jan 19, 2011.

1. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I have 4 Silkies that I purchased from MPC that are about 12 weeks old now. I have 2 buffs, and 2 partridges. The partridges are very full, fluffy and have very full top knots. The buffs, not so much. Not only are they scrawnier, (could be cause they are not as fluffly looking) but one doesn't even have any fluff on her head at all! The other has a little. I realize that these are hatchery Silkies, so I wasn't expecting perfection, but these two Buffs look like they are Silkie mixes. They do have the extra toe, some feathering on their legs and feet, as well as the "silkie" type feathering on their bodies, but that is it. Any hope that they will develop more fluff as they get older? Not sure if it matters, but the two buffs are way more scared of me than the partridges. Always have been.
    Thanks!

2. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Could you post some pictures?

3. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you possibly post some pics, so we are seeing what you are seeing? Mine were the same...Turned out one was the roo, and I was just seeing the really blown back look of a Silkie roo. The other was a hen who later got her 'afro'! Don't worry...maybe give them some treats, so they might warm up to you.

Hope I helped! [​IMG]

4. yomama

I will post some pics. It is starting to get a little dark and cloudy right now, but I will see what I can come up with.
    Be back in a bit. [​IMG]

5. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, I am so excited to see! Are they in the coop?

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    It's not uncommon for hatchery silkies to have little to no crest at all. Doesn't mean they're mixes, just that they are pet quality.

7. yomama

Ok, so here they are. The best they would let me do, anyway. I put pics of the partridge ones as well, for comparison.
    first pic:
    Autumn on left (very dark) and Maximus on right,dark top with gold and black body, my partridges: As you can see, not show quality, but definately fluffy in all the right places for the most part. Veronica, who is also in pic 2, is in the middle and she has a little fluff on her head:
    [​IMG]

This is Veronica, the one buff that has a little poof on her head:

[​IMG]

Here's Marsha!, Marsha!, Marsha!. The one with nothing on her head.
    [​IMG]

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Marsha does look rather mixed. But she does have silkie feathering which is a reccesive trait, so if there is a mix in her it would have to be back at least one generation.

The others look silkie to me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  9. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Indeed her head does not look like a Silkie head. Perhaps EE mix? [​IMG]

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    thats what I was thinking, I cant put my finger on it, but something says EE to me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by