Silkie's With Other Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Shannon g, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Shannon g

Shannon g New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    I have a silkie bantam which i got seperately to my other chickens by herself. She has never really been "part of the group" if you know what i mean. When i first got her they pecked her as they do sorting out the pecking order, and thats all i thought it was. But they have never stopped, she has always been bullied by the other girls. I was speeeking to aomeone the other day where i get my feed from and they said you ahould seperate silkies from the other chickens because rhey are always picked on. But she seems to get lonely by herself. Do you think i should get another silkie to be with or will they not be friends. Thank you.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I think that it would be a good idea to get her a silkie friend. Any chicken added to a flock has a hard time integrating, and silkies, from what i have read, have the additional problem of size and looking completely different to other breeds, which certainly does not help bullying. She will be a lot more content with another silkie and theres no better excuse for chicken maths [​IMG]

CT

3. chickens563

chickens563 New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I have two coops. One at my own house, and my younger brother has one at my grandmothers.
    At my coop, I have four silkies, a barred rock, a silver laced Wyandotte, and three brown leghorn Easter egger crosses. The silkies do just fine, I think they are tougher as a group.

In my other coop, I only have one silkie adult hen. When we first got her she had a friend, but her friend passed away. She does just fine on her own with the rest of the flock, but after my other silkie passed away it took some getting used to for her.

Every chickens personality is different but if you think she's lonely try adopting another adult silkie hen, if that doesn't work then I hope you find a solution!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by