Silkies with other hens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by olympicchicks, Mar 12, 2015.

1. olympicchicks

olympicchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2014
    Cheshire, England
    I can't choose what breeds to get after a year now and I have a few breeds in mind that a breeder near me sells

Silkie
    Buff orpington
    Araucana
    Speckled Sussex
    Cream legbar

Silkies I have always loved but love the others and I can only get three so I am wondering if I would be able to have 1 silkie with for example 1 buff orpington and 1 araucana

The cream legbars are at the bottom of my favourites as I have heard of them being mean

I think the silkies are standard size as it doesn't specify and all the other breeds she sells are LF

Do you think it would work or not

My run is 30ft by 6ft

Also what do you guys recommend for keeping cats away as they will be my only problem really predator wise

2. Rocky64

Rocky64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    I've had silkies with various breeds and the only problem I've had is that the LF Roos over mate with them and so I now separate them but that was the only reason. Do you know for sure the cats will bother the chickens?

3. olympicchicks

Apr 1, 2014
    Cheshire, England
    Rocky64 I'm not to sure about that as it watches my rabbits but isn't there for long as my dog is soon to be chasing after him, FYI she's ran up & down the street once , but she won't be able to see him as they will be out of sight from her so if the cat was to come she wouldn't chase after it

4. Rocky64

Jan 25, 2015
    I'm pretty sure if the cats are feral they will go after the chickens, I didn't know if you owned them or if they were strays... Mine are fine with chickens and chicks but that's because the cats were around chickens since they were born( they are barn cats and the chickens pen is in the barn so they are kinda like neighbors).

5. olympicchicks

Apr 1, 2014
    Cheshire, England
    It's not my cat so that's what I'm not sure of

6. olympicchicks

Apr 1, 2014
    Cheshire, England
    Would two silkies be ok with one araucana or would there be too much squabbling

7. Rocky64

Jan 25, 2015
    I would imagine that they would be fine.

8. olympicchicks

Apr 1, 2014
    Cheshire, England
    Rocky do you not think the araucana might feel a bit lonely

9. Rocky64

Jan 25, 2015
    It might feel somewhat lonely. If you can, get another aracuana so each chicken has a buddy. Each chicken is different so the aracuana might not fell lonely, I have 2 chickens that don't care if they are alone and will venture off by themselves.

10. olympicchicks

Apr 1, 2014
    Cheshire, England
    I have the space so if I prefer the look of them breeds then I will get two of each

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by