Silkies with polish

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tigger123, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Tigger123

Tigger123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2016
    Would my pair of silkies get on well with polish chickens? I was thinking of getting some polish hens.

2. gmatson

gmatson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2016
    I'm not an expert. I'm pretty new to chickens but I have 2 silky chickens in the coop with a mixed flock. One of my chicks is a polish mix.I also have red stars and Easter eggers. I think they would be fine together.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Typically, crested breeds are fine together. I say typically because these are living animals we're dealing with, anything can happen. You wont know if you don't try ;)
    Good luck!

4. Tigger123

Tigger123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2016
    Yes I will give it a go. Thanks for your comments.

5. woodlandsprite

woodlandsprite Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    Days Creek,Oregon
    I LOVE your pic..I sooo want fluffy silkies..I bought some from hatchery and well, they aren't poofy like yours..Body is fluffy, but heads naw...

6. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    They should be fine, silkies are pretty calm, polish are a little skittish, but are not that really aggressive. Other then the typical pecking and fighting for dominance, everything should be just fine.
    Like said above, you are dealing with living creatures, so just because a certain breed tends to be more calm, that doesn't mean they all are like that, there are always the exceptions. You can try it out. however I have learned that although most chickens will get along, there are always the more aggressive hens that will peck on the little innocent ones. but as long as they have plenty of room and feed, they should be fine, as they can always get out of the way of the most aggressive ones.

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Thank you! I love, love, love my Silkies! Theyre great birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by