Silkies with Potbelly Pig & Rooster, Hen with a Turkey Pair

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Fruitloopz, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Fruitloopz

Fruitloopz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    I have two questions. Will my 5 silkies be happy with a 3 month old potbelly pig in their coop part of the day? When Piggy isn't with me and at night to sleep I thought I'd put him in there since the silkies have their own smaller coop up high to sleep in..till I get this fence fixed. But I do NOT want my silkies to be unhappy!!

Also, I got a pair of turkeys today and put them in with the one rooster and one hen. The people I bought them from assured me they would be fine, but I just don't know. The coop is huge. I think I just got too many things in one day. I want everyone to be happy!

2. homeycow

homeycow Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    North Texas
    I'm not sure I understand the arrangement...will the piggie be in a run with the silkies (not in the "smaller coop up high")? If so, I think everyone can be happy. Our pot bellied pigs always got along with all our other critters (cats, dogs, guineas, geese, chickens), and our adult chickens love to perch on our one remaining piggie when he is outside. Piggie, in turn, loves them to perch on him because it scratches his back. Our pigs have always been very sociable and need to be around people or other animals. Your silkies should be good company for your piggie.

I can't help you out with your turkey question, but I'm sure someone here will be along to answer!

Edited to add: I meant to also say that I am assuming your pig has been spayed or neutered. If not, you are in for a wild ride, and I would suggest having that done immediately. I would not put an unneutered (or unspayed) pot bellied pig in with ANY other animal!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by