Silkies with strait feathers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dorothymcd, Jan 9, 2014.

1. dorothymcd

dorothymcd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    I purchased Silkie hatching eggs on ebay. In the listing the lady said her bantam Mille Fleur D'Uccle was sneaking in there so its possible to get a mix breed but the listing was for silkies.
    I only had 1 egg hatch the first time but it was not a Silkie, and the feet did not have feathers not a lot but still kept Fiona because she was a hen and very sweet. I still have her.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After I spoke to the lady she offered to send me more hatching eggs. this time I got 2 boys both Mille Fleur. Great personalities and beautiful, but Again not a Silkie...I believe they were Mille Fleur like the first.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Third time is the charm. She offered to send me "splash" silkies and they are def 100% Silkies and one of the hens was a naked neck silkie showgirl (not sure what that was). Anyway here we are now and the result this time?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ok so we have 4. 2 strait feather 2 silkie fluffy. The First picture is of the boy (im assuming its a boy) strait feather, some unique spots but mostly black.
    The second picture is of another boy (again im guessing) this guy is a blue with some spots now showing up more and silkie feathers.
    The third picture is of my strait feather sweet pretty Findley ~ I have no idea of sex but im hoping for a girl Mille Fleur D'Uccle?? but he is just like the Buff Mille Fleur I had with the second set just so cool didnt wana give up but had to. I really was convinced thought it was a girl until 4 months old when it went from girl to boy overnight lol... Color on #3 ~ Blue (im guessing).
    And finally a black feather girl Silkie? Again guessing on all of them they are almost 3 months old so I got another moneth before i'll know for sure... I wish i knew now its harder when they get bigger to give away and find a good home where they will be a rooster to his own hens not dinner or caged.
    Ok back to the subject. I asked breeder are they mixed i need to know, she told me the showgirl is a Silkie paint, and there is gene that carries strait feathers. She also said its a Sillkie 100% but with defects.. I goggled Silkie paints and they are all white with spots everywhere and all silkies are fluffy. I havent found any Strait feather Silkies. I am very curious about this.
    Anyone have any idea or opinion about their breed? Also opinions on sex..

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The plain and simple answer is that straight feathered 'silkies' are mutts not silkies. You need to find someone else to get birds from if you want pure silkies.

3. ke5hde

ke5hde Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Lafayette,NY
    Agreed. A pure silkie should have silkie feathers not smooth like a regular bird. The exception to that would be sizzles, you can get smooths.

4. dorothymcd

dorothymcd Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2013
    Ya that's what I thought. And I did get Silkies from somewhere else...I just wanted to see if what she told me had any truth behind it at all or if she was misleading me...
    Maybe shes afraid we wont talk as friends anymore which would not happen. I did get Fiona from the batch I bought and I love her so its all good the rest she sent for free, well I did pay shipping for the last 4 lol but thats ok. And maybe she was fed the same story and believes her Girls are pure..
    The problem for me now is I did end up with one girl that looks Silkie but is she all Silkie? Seller never answered my question if all 4 eggs came from same hen.. Maybe she don't even know.
    I'm going to assume she's not pure... Its ok I got 6 pure silkie girls now from the last batch I got (from somewhere else) so im good. Thank you all for your opinion.. if anyone else knows anything else about the breeds of these "muts" let me know..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by