1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies wont lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gmtarsw, Oct 25, 2013.

1. gmtarsw

gmtarsw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    I Have three silkies, i bought them from a lady who's children are in 4H and they raised the chickens for that.
    When i bought the silkies in august, the lady said they should start laying in September. sure enough in September what i was told was three hens turned out to be a rooster and two hens. now its october and i havent even so much as seen an egg. I would like to see my hens lay, aside from my Roo being readily amourous, i see no indication of my hens laying any eggs.
    Any recommendations?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Silkies can take awhile...some people post that it takes them 7 or 8 months sometimes. Then they are a very broody breed, and won't lay when they are broody. If your family needs eggs badly I'd get some layer breeds also.

I hope this helps.

3. gmtarsw

Aug 15, 2013
    we dont NEED eggs, i would just like to see it happen. i bought them as pets personally, but my wife is not quite as bemused by the idea of "PET" chickens, although the though of me walking Roo around on a leash does make her laugh. Wife wants eggs. i just wanna see another part of my pets behaviour.

4. ChickensAreSweet

LOL https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/616803/tori-spellings-pet-silkie-coco

5. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Silkies are not a laying breed. My silkie started laying when she was a year old!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Silkies are not very good layers. Most of the fancy bantam breeds, like Silkies, Cochins, etc really aren't great layers. Even my Wyandotte bantams are terrible at laying (they lay about 5 eggs a month).

7. gmtarsw

Aug 15, 2013
    does the old wives tale about placing a fake egg in a nest work? i have heard mixed reviews of it. while i admit i am suspicious of it actually working, i have heard people say it does, what are your guys thoughts?

8. ChickensAreSweet

I don't know but I always keep fake eggs in there (one per nest) to encourage them to lay in the correct place and to hopefully prevent egg eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by