Silkies & Wyandottes?!

Davis Farms

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2016
Biloxi MS
I recently added 4 Wyandotte hens (2 Golden Laced & 2 Silver Laced) and 2 new silkie hens to my existing silkie flock. Needless to say, the Wyandottes are terrorizing the Silkies and it's breaking my heart because I just love them so much lol. I am a total newbie but I read that Wyandottes are generally docile which is why I assumed they would be okay with my silkies. The 2 new silkies are just all plucked because they don't fit in with either of the two groups yet and the existing silkies who had already established their pecking order are now at the bottom of the order and I feel like they are all stressed out as it's constant bickering all day.

My question is, should I separate the two breeds and not leave them together or should I give it a couple more days and let them work it out. It's barely been 4 days. I have been separating at dinner so they both eat and drink and they also all free range and don't bother each other it's only in the coop and the run. There are 7 total silkies and 4 Wyandottes, you'd think they would realize they have them outnumbered haha, jk I know that's not how it works. The Wyandottes are the only ones laying eggs so I don't want to get rid of them, the Silkies are freeloaders but they like to cuddle so I'm okay with it.
1f602.png

Any help is so greatly appreciated!

Most breeds can be mixed and matched just fine... with Silkies being one of several exceptions. Silkies are small, timid, functionally blind, and arguably one of the stupidest breeds around. Even mixing them with other breeds of BANTAMS can lead to an unfortunate outcome. It's almost never advisable to keep them with any kind of standard bird.

Also, Wyandottes ARE somewhat docile. Around people. All birds - every chicken alive - take part in the pecking order and are aggressive toward birds smaller and weaker than them.

I'd strongly recommend separating them as soon as feasible.

Most breeds can be mixed and matched just fine... with Silkies being one of several exceptions. Silkies are small, timid, functionally blind, and arguably one of the stupidest breeds around. Even mixing them with other breeds of BANTAMS can lead to an unfortunate outcome. It's almost never advisable to keep them with any kind of standard bird.

Also, Wyandottes ARE somewhat docile. Around people. All birds - every chicken alive - take part in the pecking order and are aggressive toward birds smaller and weaker than them.

I'd strongly recommend separating them as soon as feasible.

Absolutely! Thank you SO much for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom