silkies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kyzerc, Jan 23, 2016.

1. kyzerc

kyzerc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2015
    Been in the hospital last week,had two surgies.I got home and had 7 silkies hatched.About 5 died half open during, the night.Thats about 20 the last 2 hatches

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    could be low humidity or poor air exchange and low O2 levels.

3. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Humidity would be my guess too.

4. kyzerc

Nov 7, 2015
    When I'm home,i will help them out,sometimes 5 out of 7.If I don't they are dead next morning.The membrane is so tough that they cant cut it
    I have no trouble with quail eggs.I have a genesis 1588 that I have never used yet.Ive had it a few months.Just been using the little giants.Next time I'm going to watch the humidaty very close.Really been bad sick for a long time,lost 70 lbs.I had an infected gall bradder last 3 to 5 years.They took it out last week even though it tested good.I was well 1 hour later,no pain and can eat now.Now I can spend more time with the birds
    [​IMG]

5. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015
    low humidity during hatch causing shrink wrapping by the sounds of it.

What humidity do you use during lockdown?

6. kyzerc

Nov 7, 2015
    I have trouble getting the still air over mid 50,s even with sponges and all.Dont trust gauge,need another one.Checked it tonight,it was 39%.Plus at times I have had staggered hatchs and didn't want to drown others.I read that the membrane can dry out in one to two seconds.The article said don't open till all have hatched.I hate that cause they get eggs rolling around,many end up up side down,lost a couple like that a few weeks ago.I heard them chirping in middle of night,but was too sick to get up.I thought they would be running around next morning.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  7. kyzerc

Nov 7, 2015
    I had a few more that the membrane was sucked in so much that there was a 3/8 in gap between egg and membrane.I saved that one though.I had never seen that before.

8. kyzerc

Nov 7, 2015
    I have hatched out some pretty silkies.Black chick on right was huge,they were only about a week old
    about 1/3 of them get out in a few minutes,go off a few minutes and have a couple when you go back'[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by