SIlkies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by H04, May 7, 2009.

1. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    OK not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

However, the more im reading and youtubing and everything else im falling in love for the silkies ( even though they are said to not be the best egg layers) Anyway, This chicken outlawer would love to have two babies however from where and is it possible to make sure they are hens and not roosters?

Thanks

2. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    I love silkies too. I think the best bet is to get them once they're at least 3-4 months old to be sure you're getting hens.

Where are you located?

3. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
  4. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    MyPetChicken.com is the only place that you can order sexed silkie chicks, but you do pay for it. It's an extra $10 per chick. It's steep, but for me it was worth it to pay the extra to have a fairly good chance of ending up with girls. (sexing is never 100% accurate). The last thing I want is to raise a bird for 4 to 5 months only to find out I have to get rid of it because it's a boy! The only other option is to but older birds, as has been suggested.

eta- I got 2 from mypetchicken.com and they are WAY too cute!

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  5. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Hello! I live on the east coast of central florida ( where they are Not allowed lol) so i guess to have a chance of a more quieter hen (possibly) i may have a silkie that gives less eggs. Is that correct:/ i mean even if i had two bar rocks i believe i still would need to buy organic eggs from a farmer. Its more the experience of having Something for my two little boys.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm not sure why you'd have to buy organic eggs. If you had two hens that were laying and you fed them organically, you'd have your own organic eggs correct? Or am I missing something?
    Silkies are nice and all. In fact I am considering one myself, but for one reason only. Silkies go broody alot and I need a broody. If you get a silkie, best read up on how to break them of it.

7. H04

H04 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Hello!
    From what i was reading on avg 80-90 eggs a year correct? With two sons, myself and husband we would exceed that with the amt we use.

Yeah, it seems the birds i like and research tend to be the broody ones lol
    But thanks i will read more on the "broodiness"

8. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Quote:I think chickens make wonderful pets for children! My kids 4 & 8 are still entertained on a daily basis for significant periods of time with the chickens. Seems like when people get a hamster they lose interest quickly but my kids don't lose interest in the chickens! They've learned really great responsibility with them too.

You may be able to get a breed that would give you more eggs & be as quiet -- I don't know whether silkies are particularly quiet -- mine are still too young to be noisy!

Good luck!

9. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:WOW...we are a family of four and only 2 egg lovers...the other 2 are occasional egg eaters and we go thru about 20 eggs a week! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by