silkies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ksct, Oct 12, 2009.

1. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    DS saw a picture of a silkie.... Can someone tell me what the pros and cons would be to owning one or a couple? Are they harder to take care of? do they have speical needs? how big do they get? what color eggs do they lay etc...????
    Any information would be helpful. maybe we'll get 2?
    Thanks!!!

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:my DD loves her silkies...

I got mine in april... so far no down sides, on the up side i have a great momma who wil try and hatch anything [​IMG]

i am making sure they have a warm coop for the winter i hear they dont winter well

my dd carries hers all over and because they are small her teach wants me to bring one in for a visit..

my silkies are really small about the size of a large can of tomatoes but not nearly as heavy that was just for size comparison

eggs.. mine lay a cream colour one and a white one... i have a baby right now that came from a blue egg so i cant wait to see what colour egg she lays...

3. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

Pros:

Very Friendly
    Good Layers
    Great Broodies
    Don't Eat a lot
    Beautiful, good conversation Piece

Con's
    You can not own just one or two, you will want more!
    Steal each others eggs!
    Smelly Pop

4. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Pros: can be held and cuddled for as long or as much as you want. Friendly. Don't fly. Don't eat alot. Dont need roosts. Many interesting colors to choose from. Don't roam far. Roos are non agressive. Hilarious to watch on the lawn. Don't tear up a garden or grass. Quiet. Smallish, fit in anywhere.
    Cons: Sometimes you may have to shampoo a crest or feet or bum. If show qual, may have to trim crests or check that they can still see. Don't lay tons of eggs. (Eggs are classified as a "tint" color, light pinky tan).

5. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    if they don't need a roost... would they need a seperate coop from a larger breed like our buff orpingtons? Do they need to be in an area with birds their size?
    if they don't need roosts..... what do they do?
    Our BO's 'need' a million roosts... i don't know what it would be like to have a chicken that doesnt. lol
    You guys have given me great info so far!!! THANKS!

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have my silkies in my coop with my standard hens and my EE roo... they do just fine..

My silies will sit on the edge of the nest and "roost" or they will find a spot on the floor and all of them will cuddle i use the deep litter method mainly for this reason, to provide warmth

7. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I just got some silkie babies, and i love them!

although they don't love me yet...
    lol

i think they will be very good birds when grown

... they do stink a bit

8. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    Mine roost on the highest roost we have (with the crazy WCB). They just play leap frog on the perches till they get there.

They are small think 50 oz Tide bottle. They eat less, and they dont lay a lot.

But they sure are cute!!!!!

9. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Silkies are silly! [​IMG]

Mine have the craziest antics. They enjoyed their baths at fair time, they lay the cutest little eggs and now 2 are being broody. (One's trying to hatch a golf ball)

I go to the coop and look under them and they have all the eggs. Kind of a one-stop-shop for me. [​IMG]

I have assorted hens in one coop, silkies, dutch bantams, mille fluer d'Uccles, Drokings, Buff Orps, cukoo marans, ameraucana, and a few polish.

Everyone gets along well. Everyone sleeps on the roosts except the silkies who cuddle on the floor.

10. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Read a couple of posts on here that silkies are smelly. How and why are they smelly?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by