silkies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kelidei, Jan 14, 2011.

1. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Is there a way to sex silkie chicks? They are about a week old. I have a couple that are quite a bit larger than the others... I know with my other breeds most times those ended up being the roos... Just curious... never had silkies before. Thanks!

2. amydurose

amydurose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2010
    England
    Ive got 2, 15 week old silkies and havent got a clue what sex they are, Ive posted pics on here and got mixed opinions.

Its fun to guess though.

3. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    From what I know, there is no way to tell the sex of a silkie till they get older and start crowing. Some people can tell by the tail feathers at a younger age. Hatcheries don't sex bantum chicks because of there small size at birth, it could hurt them. Hope this helps a little!

4. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Yes.... I have heard it is really hard to do... I guess I will just have to wait to see if eventually some one crows! Yours are getting close to that point--- I guess that's how you tell... either they crow or lay an egg [​IMG]

5. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    With my silkie chicks, so far I noticed the bigger ones ended up to be roos and if they have the harder type feathers in the tail that meant roo also. So far that has worked for me. Some I don't have a clue either until much later. [​IMG]

6. amydurose

Oct 4, 2010
    England
    :confused:If anyone wants to give sexing mine ago then my post is a few below called help me solve a mystery. I have my opinion but not placing money on it yet [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  7. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Quote:With me, raising silkies, sometimes you can just tell and yes...some...not so much!! Gets irritating sometimes. [​IMG] My experience is the same.

8. amydurose

Oct 4, 2010
    England
    Whats your opinion on girls have pompoms and boys are more slicked back?

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Determining the gender of young Silkies is one of the great mysteries of the poultry world.

10. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    Quote:Thats one way to tell as well!! The girls will have more of the "pom pom heads and the boys will have more of a "slick back" look to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by