Silkies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by xmissjadie, Mar 14, 2011.

1. xmissjadie

xmissjadie Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    I have one black silkie and one while silkie. I was wondering how you can tell what gender they are before they are full grown. I know you can tell by the top of their head, their feathers, their comb and their vent but, are there any other ways to tell? Maybe behavior wise?

Email me for pics!

I will post pics when I can!

Thanks,
    Jade

2. kingdr85

kingdr85 Songster

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    How old? - post a pic and we might be able to guess. There is no for sure guess but I've been pretty good with mine. I've noticed the males are always faster and more agile then hens, even when they are young chicks. I also think they grow at a faster rate and their features (beak, eyes, head, face) tend to be slightly bigger than the females. That is just my experience and I've been pretty good and determining mine.

3. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Songster

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Since silkies have such unique feathering, they're known for being extremely hard to sex when they're young. I know this really doesn't help much, but hopefully someone who's a silkie expert can help you out.

And [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. xmissjadie

xmissjadie Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Here's some pics, let me know what you guys think! I think the white one's a roo and the black one a pullet?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: